Pls Pls Give sugeestions for Issue Essay

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Pls Pls Give sugeestions for Issue Essay

by missionmba » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:44 am
"A business should not be held responsible for providing customers with complete information about its products or services; customers should have the responsibility of gathering information about the products or services they may want to buy."

==============================================================================================

The question of whether a bussiness should be held responsible for not providing customers with complete information about its products or services is a complex one. On one side the issue means that companies should be solely held reponsible for the product it sells and on other side, the issue means that the consumers are not at all responsible for the products or services which they choose. This issue has to be carefully considered. I neither completely agree nor completly disagree with the argument.

One reason that i do not completely agree with the author is that companies have target to sell their products, improve their brand name, and earn profits. They cannot tell every detail of their products to each and ever customer which may lower its profits. Todays companies are driven by profits and as the maket is rapidly changing companies do not have sufficient time to do through research and expain each and every detail about the product they make. For example, the china made electronic items. These electronic items are mass produced to keep the costs low and are meant for use and throw purpose. As the market changes these companies immediately starts mass producing the new item and sells it throughout the world. The owner of these companies do not have any inclination to do any through reaserch of these products because doing research on these products as it will add to the overall prduct cost. Therefore companies cannot be entirely be blamed for providing its customer with all the information for its products.

The reason that i do not completely disagree with the author is that the comsumer more often than not do not know the intended use of the products. Today most of the people go by the brand name or buy the product because they find it useful or because they think to buy the item for their collection. Most of the times the customer do not even read the cautions or instructions that are provided with the product. When a consumer opts for a service or buys a product without gathering information about its use there is a greater chance that he may not find the product for the use which he had in mind before buying the product. So to blame companies in such cases is not at all correct. The companies do not force consumers to buy their products. It is the responsibility if the customer to understand the use and purpose of the product before he buys it.

In conclusion, For the above mentioned reasons i believe that to agree completely with any of the side of the agument is not correct and the companies should take the responsibilities of the failure of it products when it do not act in the claimed manner and causes problems to its user and also, the consumers should entirely undersatnd the purpose and use of the product which they purchase.
Mission Mba

Everyone has a will to win but very few have the will to prepare to win

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:44 pm
The biggest problem with this essay is that you don't support your points with specific, real world examples. Avoid general/hypothetical examples such as "companies" .... rather, think of a real-world company that would support your argument. Doing this would really strengthen your essay.

Also, you should pick one side of the argument and stick to it. Either agree or disagree - don't sit on the fence.

I'll give you a 3.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:53 am
Dear Jim,

When we write the essyas,is it not better to have a balanced viewpoint?
Please advise.

Also,u mentioned it's wrong to use -i,me,my.When we are expressing our views how can me manage to avoid them?

thanks!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:27 am
Nope, it's better to pick one side and try to argue why that position is correct. The point of this essay is to see if you can argue a point convincingly, so it's definitely better to pick your side and try to prove why you're right.

As for avoiding "I" etc., you can say something like: "While some believe that X, in reality the opposite of that position is true." Here, you're restating the issue and taking a position, but you're avoiding personal pronouns.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:57 am
thanks ..

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by gmatosaurus » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:15 pm
hi jim,
can u tell me the format i shall follow as in the outer frame of the body of an issue and an argument...
In case it has already been given somewhere then please guide me to it.
thank you
gmatosaurus is carnivorus

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by James_ » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:02 am
An addititional weakness with this essay is that you don't make much reference to the literature and how the subject is discussed by others.

I suggest you visit www.mbawinner.com for some more professional advice if you seriously want to get a good grade.
J