Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

MBA Career goals

by Dean Jones » Tue May 21, 2013 9:59 pm
Hello All,

This is a question regarding ShortTermGaols and LongTermGoals after completing MBA. Just to give a background, I have been working as a Software developer for 8.5 years with 3.3 years of International Experience. After some brainstorming, I found out that after completion MBA I would like to go into IT Program Management as my STG. On long term, I would like to work as an IT strategy consultant in a global IT company such as IBM or Accenture.

My question is that do these goals seem to be disjoint or is there a casual relation between them?

Thanks and Regards

Deano.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

mba career goals

by evaann » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:32 am
Online mba helps to grow in your career and attain your career goals.Build your career with good online mba learnings.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by campbellronald7 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:42 pm
You have a good Industry experience in IT ,PLus doing an Mba from a reputed college would help you in getting a job as IT consultant or You may also grow within your field as well.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by PythaGURUS » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:58 am
Hi

I think you have missed the question completely. It is more important to illustrate what will your career path look like for the first 5-7 years post MBA and how will that learning translate into what you eventually want to do in the longer run( 7-15 years). I mean, starting up as an IT Consultant in the longer term does not sound very promising. Schools have a very low risk appetite in the short term, however, they are keen on knowing how will you rock in the longer term. I think you should conduct research across the future industries and define it more closely.

I want you to further research on the following and make it more specific:

1. What are your target companies that recruit from your target schools? You can check the placement statistics of the school and identify the organizations that you want to work within the story.

2. What are some of the roles these companies hire for in that school? I am very sure that you have a reason and a great story for what you want to do in the short term. However, I want you to get more specific in terms of your targets and you should have a great understanding of

a. What were some of the roles offered to the recent MBA Graduates for both full time positions or internship positions and other co-op opportunities. You can get this information after you have extensively started on networking.

b. What is the career progression of these people and how do these roles evolve with time? What will happen to your first position and where will it take you in 5 to 7 years after MBA( What is the natural progression in the industry?)

3. How will you get all the information above ?

a. Start talking to people around and find out more about the jobs and positions. This is one source that rarely goes bad and in the course of networking with people around, you will have picked up an amazing skill set that will also get you significant amount of interviews while you are recruiting there full time.

b. Linked In: Look for people who are have graduated from your target school and are working in your target industry or function. You will realize that many a times, the information provided on their profiles will strongly resonate with what you want to do in the future.

c. Look at the leadership of the company( The top leader profiles across the websites or on a 10K Report. 10K Report is a financial report that can be downloaded through the investor relations section of that company's website. This 10K report will have a section of the "Leaders" and "Our Team". Find those people and research on their 15-20 years of professional background to understand how the career has moved for them.

d. Target Companies Career Section: Do visit the career section of your target companies. Your target company is very likely to have an MBA Recruiting as a separate option. If it recruits from your target school, it is very likely that they have the Job descriptions for what you are looking at and that should also give you a fair idea of what you will be expected to do in your short term ambition.

Regards,

Jatin Bhandari

Darden MBA'2008

PythaGURUS MBA Admissions

Founder and CEO, PythaGURUS Education

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by KellyRichard » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:25 am
Define Your MBA Goals Before Applying to Grad School

The career goals essay is perhaps the most common of all topics posed in the MBA application, so it may surprise you to learn that many prospective students don't have clearly defined career goals. If that sounds like you, the first step to remedying this situation is taking a long look at what you think an MBA degree will do for you.

B-school offers clear skill-building in teamwork and leadership, as well as practical skills like accounting, marketing and finance. For many, the strong professional network you'll build with classmates and alumni is the most alluring aspect of the experience. If you want to advance in a career where an MBA is valued, it may be an important next step.