GMAT Prep SC - Finally reaching a decision on

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been politically charged in the Pacific Northwest, politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend to protect the fish.

A. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend
B. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, proposing instead a series of smaller steps intended
C. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan for protecting wild salmon and other endangered fish, and instead they proposed a series of smaller steps, intending
D. an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish was postponed by politicians, who instead proposed a series of smaller steps, intending
E. an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish has been postponed by politicians, proposing instead a series of smaller steps intended

[spoiler]Ans: B[/spoiler]

Understand why Options D & E are incorrect. But can anyone explain how to get the correct answer of this question?

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

by ankurmit » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:30 am
I am confused between B and C.

C seems better to me
--------
Ankur mittal

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by ashish2104 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:44 am
Correct idiom is 'plan to'
politicians are modified.

hence, B

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:00 am
Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been politically charged in the Pacific Northwest cannot modify ambitious plan. Rule out D and E.

A - ....other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend - Wordy.

C - plan for - unidiomatic in this context. Plan to is right.

B is clear, concise and free from grammatical errors.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by Gurpinder » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:09 am
Finally reaching a decision on an issue that has long been politically charged in the Pacific Northwest, politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend to protect the fish.

A. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, instead of which they proposed a series of smaller steps, by which they intend
B. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan to protect wild salmon and other endangered fish, proposing instead a series of smaller steps intended
C. politicians decided to postpone by at least five years an ambitious plan for protecting wild salmon and other endangered fish, and instead they proposed a series of smaller steps, intending

ABC = you plan ... to... something NOT plan....for....something. So ONLY AB

AB = A is too wordy and awkward! And "they" could refer to politicians or all the fish that was endangered.

So (B).

Understand why Options D & E are incorrect. But can anyone explain how to get the correct answer of this question?[/quote]
"Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress."
- Alfred A. Montapert, Philosopher.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Kajiabeat » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:59 am
Hi Ron,

Could you help to see the choice C? I know it's inferior than B,but I'm not sure about the reasons.

1.plan for doing is worse than plan to do(in B)

2.and instead ---redundant?(Ron, is it wrong here or just redudant?)

3.intending----lots of people said it is wrong, but I think it could be justified if we see it modifying the preceding action"propose a few small steps", am I right?

thank you for give any explanations on this choice!

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:31 am
B is correct because of two reasons-

1. intention is supposed to be shown by infinitive to and plan to is right in option B
2. intended to is the right idiom

I feel option C is wrong because of the following reasons-

1. plan for is wrong usage and for is never used to show intention. For is used to give reason or example
2. they can amiguously refer to wild salmon and endangered fish
3. intending i.e comma + ing normally modifies the subject of previous clause and the subject is they(can be wild salmon and fish or politicians) but logically it should be the series of smaller steps intending to protect the fish

please correct me if I am wrong

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by crick » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:00 am
+1 for B.

Crick

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by jonathan123456 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:47 am
aspirant2011 wrote:B is correct because of two reasons-

1. intention is supposed to be shown by infinitive to and plan to is right in option B

1. plan for is wrong usage and for is never used to show intention. For is used to give reason or example
3. intending i.e comma + ing normally modifies the subject of previous clause and the subject is they(can be wild salmon and fish or politicians) but logically it should be the series of smaller steps intending to protect the fish

Is wild salmon and endangered fish plural?
Never say Die!

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:19 am
jonathan123456 wrote:
aspirant2011 wrote:B is correct because of two reasons-

Is wild salmon and endangered fish plural?
Yes, I think we need to take them as two things joined by a conjunction and

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:34 am
Kajiabeat wrote:Hi Ron,

Could you help to see the choice C? I know it's inferior than B,but I'm not sure about the reasons.

1.plan for doing is worse than plan to do(in B)

2.and instead ---redundant?(Ron, is it wrong here or just redudant?)

3.intending----lots of people said it is wrong, but I think it could be justified if we see it modifying the preceding action"propose a few small steps", am I right?

thank you for give any explanations on this choice!
received a pm.

what's the source of this problem?
(c) is indeed worse than (b), but i don't think it's wrong enough to be an official wrong answer.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nexus_crusher » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:11 pm
i saw this problem on GMATPrep® Exam Pack 1. its an official problem. oa is B.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:38 pm
Well, there's the parallelism between "to protect" and "to protect" in B. In C, the two forms aren't parallel.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron