Profile Eval - Same GMAT on re-take / Strategy on Re-app

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello!

Below are a few bullets on my background (slightly detailed because I have a unique circumstance and new to BTG) -

- 30 year old Male - Originally from India, graduated from UNC Chappel Hill in 2005 with 3.72
- Moved to Boston after college - been with PWC in their Strategy Consulting Group for 7.5 Years (HI-B visa) since
- Some international travel for projects but not extended stay in any country
- Obtained my CFA and CPA
- Volunteer with UNICEF (Bombay Office) where I began as an intern for almost 10 years - approx 50-100 hours annual effort every year since 2003
- Taken the GMAT several times (7) with highest score = 670 (Quant - 76%, Verbal 70%) taken a month ago. Note that I took the GMAT 8 months ago and also got 670 (Quant - 67%, Verbal 81%). I started my journey with a very low score of 590 but have improved each time I took the exam (except the last time :)
- I do not plan to re-take the GMAT because of health related reasons (upcoming surgery)
- I applied to a few schools in the second round last year - Fuqua (waitlisted - no admit), Cornell (waitlisted-no admit), Tuck (denied) and LBS (denied) but I knew there was a chance I would not get in, esp bec of low quant
- I got promoted to Senior Manager this year - very few % of people get promoted this early at PWC
- I want to get into Investment Management post MBA (same career goal as last year) though I am also thinking about Corp. Strategy
- I plan to apply this Fall and really hope to get in - no cushion like last year. Also not looking at Exec MBA, just Full-time

So, I have 3 questions for you - would appreciate if you answer all 3.

1) For the schools that I have not applied to, I plan on submitting my "new" (same overall score with different breakout) GMAT score - which is a better balance between quant and verbal - but should I send new score to Fuqua, LBS and Cornell? I don't know if they perceive my effort as positive or negative given how many times I have taken and no score improvement. Additionally, I could take a calculus class from UC berkely extension if I don't re-send my updated score to show effort because I had weak quant last time i.e. 67%?

2) I want to apply to (in priority) Fuqua - early action, Ross (second round), INSEAD (Dec. round), Kellog (first round), LBS (first round) Cornell (first round) and possibly one back-up school such as a Georgetown (second round). What are my realistic chances?

3) How can you help me / what SPECIFIC pointers do you have? if you prefer to email - its [email protected]

Thanks!
Mohan

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:13 pm
Mohan--often reapplicants have an advantage in the process if they can demonstrate substantial profile improvement since last applying. One reason is that schools know you are dedicated, which is an admirable quality for the rigors of b-school. In your case, yes the GMAT improvement is subtle, but an improvement nonetheless especially given the improvement was in quant. The key for you will be in emphasising your early promotion to Senior MGR. Speak to your heightened perspective on the consulting industry and how this past year has been monumental in your leadership development. You would be a valuable team mate especially for those who plan to go into consulting. Tell them you want to create a consulting mentoring or interview prep event as part of the school's consulting club to help prepare your classmates to be ready for the industry. Not a bad idea to also take the calculus class--all this will show just how serious you are about getting in and doing well. Having spent the past 12 months focusing on improving your profile will pay off. Early action is a good idea too--you are doing all the right things. You have a better chance this year than last, so if you made the waitlist last time, that should mean positive result this year. Not sure if you used consulting last year, but it would be advisable this time around. You don't want to face another round of rejections, so some professional guideance may be in order to help you pull everything together.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ganj2014 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:27 am
Thanks, Bryant!

I wanted to clarify a few things that you mentioned:

1) You mentioned that I should write about how I would help in the consulting club - yet I am a career changer, i.e. looking to get into asset mangt. Would this seem a little fake?

2) I agree that the Quant score is a major improvement (10%) even though my verbal went down. My IR score also went down from 67% to 23%, is that a big deal?? My essay score went from 5 to 5.5. Also I dont plan to address the GMAT score in my optional/reapp essays, do you agree?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Mohan

Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:54 am
1) You mentioned that I should write about how I would help in the consulting club - yet I am a career changer, i.e. looking to get into asset mangt. Would this seem a little fake?

It's all in how you present it. If you couch yourself as someone willing to help classmates and wanting to mentor and add value to the folks interested in consulting, it should come across as helpful if it is presented genuinely.

2) I agree that the Quant score is a major improvement (10%) even though my verbal went down. My IR score also went down from 67% to 23%, is that a big deal?? My essay score went from 5 to 5.5. Also I dont plan to address the GMAT score in my optional/reapp essays, do you agree?

Some schools will look at individual components to arrive at a best combined score, and others will only consider individual sittings. Depending on the school, it could be a factor or not. I wouldn't worry as much about the IR score or the writing assessment. The core quant and verbal are the keys.
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options