How to increase score from 27 Verbal to around 40 mark

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
In 2007 when GMAT Test was considered easier then & I got 500 without much preparation. This time I am aiming higher close to 650 and have been preparing systematically on and off since 2011 I prepared for Verbal for 3-4 months thoroughly using books suggested. Doing questions now from OG 10TH and 13th and , plan to do Verbal 700-800 material available on net . I have bought GMAT Prep Pack 1 and GMAT Exam Pack 1 but didnt use it till now. So far about a month ago I was around 540 - 27 Verbal 37 Quant (Since then I have started revising wrong questions , the 1000 series was considered out of scope I tried some LSAT material for CR in 2011 was able to hit 2-3 wrong mark , I started with Powerscore CR , I did old edition in 2011 and latest edition this time , Problems are easy in new edition . I did RC from Powescore again revised Doing Grammar , in 2011 I did it twice and was able to days in a weeks time . Anyways after I started OG 10 this week first I was not able to solve them well to the point I really thought I have gone brain dead, then started to get it better. Sometimes for CR answer choices you think are right are close to being right answers are really close . I have around 2 weeks to improve because I dont want to stretch it indefinitely . Revised the GMAT prep results and saw how many wrong answers i had them around 7-8 per section I plan to bring them around 3-4 in whole test. I have LSAT material too

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:38 pm
Hi sukhman,

What you've written sounds like a list of resources/methods you used that has led you to score a V27. Since you clearly want to improve, you're going to have to learn some new tactics and adjust your approach. If you can answer a few questions, then I'll be happy to offer some advice:

1) When are you planning to take your GMAT?
2) Are you on any deadlines? Can you push your GMAT back if needed?
3) What is your score goal?
4) Where do you want to apply to school?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by sukhman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:51 pm
well I havent been able to reach hit rate I reached for CR in 2011 due to LSAT material , so instead of going through vast LSAT material again , I am trying to buy difficult questions on the net and I will practice using long LSAT passages , because I have noted (even in TOEFL which I gave this year , I gave in 2006-07) trend towards long passages. I plan to give this month end although have not scheduled the GMAT Date I am aiming 650 so working hard towards that.I dont plan to change my GMAT because then my score would go even lower due to fatigue . I plan to apply to mid level Universities not in Top 20 or something well My GPA is Low , for Indian Engg Degree it is close to 60% and around 66% for Diploma I did from College Abroad ( Though I scored B + ,B ( 70 % 3.0 GPA ) in 8 subjects out of 12 but I did lower my GPA due to problems with late submission of my project file in my Internship. I would like push my luck to close to 700 but I know my limitations and have kept my target close to 650. So want to touch 35 target for Verbal. Highest I scored in 2011 was 29-32.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:365 members

by VivianKerr » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:08 pm
I think you should re-evaluate HOW you're studying -- it sounds like your plan has been a little all over the place, which happens to so many of us!

Create an error log. An Error Log is a spreadsheet designed to help you track your incorrect questions for later review. Add to it on an ongoing basis. You will want to re-take GMAT practice questions multiple times to make sure you do not get them incorrect a second or third time. This will improve your GMAT score more than you think! Free GMAT Error Logs are available online right here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-practic ... s-t68.html

Understand why you get questions wrong. Some students believe that more questions answered = better scores on the GMAT. Fundamentally, answered a ton of GMAT practice questions will only lead to faster pacing, but without solid strategies and disciplined reviewing, your overall score will not improve. Don't be a lazy reviewer! :-)
Vivian Kerr
GMAT Rockstar, Tutor
https://www.GMATrockstar.com
https://www.yelp.com/biz/gmat-rockstar-los-angeles

Former Kaplan and Grockit instructor, freelance GMAT content creator, now offering affordable, effective, Skype-tutoring for the GMAT at $150/hr. Contact: [email protected]

Thank you for all the "thanks" and "follows"! :-)

by sukhman » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:40 am
These were my scores in exam today Verbal 21 Quant-42 Total 530 as opposed to 28 August Verbal 27 Quant 37 Total 540 , My highest level has been 31 in verbal and 42 in quant In today's exam verbal was difficult so I thought I might score good with 1 long passage and total of 4 passages , I finished with 25 minutes remaining in verbal but in Quant my timer went off with 3-4 questions remaining , I have my GMAT exam within weeks time and I thought I could score atleast 600 ,I have worked hard for Quant and was thinking of doing quant again for 3-4 days with my Vebal covered, , I used Powerscore Sentence Correction , MGMAT SC , Powerscore CR , MGMAT CR(new one to supplement Powerscore since it contains some high End Question Types not there in 2012 Edition of Powerscore , they have even put newer examples but lesser in Number than 2006 Edition. How do I increase my score. I checked my error log and seem to have same number of questions incorrect 18/41 today and 19/41 , also questions today were more of business and science topics in CR and RC though SC seemed easy.I dont know what to do should I practice LSAT difficult questions.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dakrownie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:01 am
Hello!

I need some help too...

My answers are in blue:

1) When are you planning to take your GMAT? April 24
2) Are you on any deadlines? Can you push your GMAT back if needed? Yes! But can shift exam by 2 weeks
3) What is your score goal? 720

My last GMAT Prep Score was 610 (Q47, V27)

I have read virtually all the Manhattan Books.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:18 pm
Hi dakrownie,

Have you used any practice materials besides those books? Also, what have your scores been (including your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores) on each of your practice CATs?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by dakrownie » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:21 am
Dear Rich,

I scored 530 on Manhattan practice test 1(Q41, V23)
And scored 590 on Manhattan practice test 2 (38, 31)
I purchased a the Manhattan set and have used two of the practice tests

I scored 640 on Veritas Prep (Q47, V31)

I'm opened to suggestions and willing to take a verbal course if need be. I have read CR Bible, went through some of the problems in RC99 and I have just finished the GMATClub Grammar Book. I have also finished all questions in OG13.

You can imagine my frustration when after all these I still haven't gotten remotely close to my (Q51, V41) target score.

:s

Expectant!
Thanks!

by dakrownie » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:27 am
Hello,

I scored 530 on Manhattan practice test 1(Q41, V23)
And scored 590 on Manhattan practice test 2 (38, 31)
I purchased a the Manhattan set and have used two of the practice tests

I scored 640 on Veritas Prep (Q47, V31)

I'm opened to suggestions and willing to take a verbal course if need be. I have read CR Bible, went through some of the problems in RC99 and I have just finished the GMATClub Grammar Book. I have also finished all questions in OG13. I have also keep a track on the mistakes I have made...

You can imagine my frustration when after all these I still haven't gotten remotely close to my (Q51, V41) target score.

I'm wondering what the right next step to achieving my target score is...
Thanks!