Please Evaluate : Indian Female | 650 GMAT

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Please Evaluate : Indian Female | 650 GMAT

by hifunda » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:11 am
Hello,

Can someone please comment on my profile?

Indian Female Entrepreneur working in a family firm.

ACADEMICS:
1. GMAT - 650 (after 3 tries) - Q46, V34
2. Graduated Undergrad with First Class (Distinction) and a GPA of 80/100 (Computer Science Engineering)
3. School GPA - 87% both in 10th and 12th CBSE

WORK EXPERIENCE:
1. Worked for 1 year in Software Development.
2. Switched into a family firm in real estate consulting, for a total work ex of 4+ years currently. Will have 5+ at matriculation next year.
3. Family business environment, leadership experience and initiatives on marketing projects, with digital marketing expertise.
4. Short term goal: Pursue a Digital marketing manager position in a technology/e-commerce company, or a Marketing Consultant role.
5. Long term goal: Set up a Digital Marketing consultancy focused on helping small businesses succeed online with their growth strategies.

EXTRACURRICULAR AND OTHER INTERESTS:
1. Was active in Sports during school and college, interested even now. Enjoy Strength training at the gym and very involved in fitness.
2. Deeply passionate about Baking as a hobby, and part of a women's entrepreneur bakers group and regularly get involved in organizing bake sales.
3. Pursuing some Internet Marketing certifications.

I have applied to ISB, and I want to also target Kenan Flagler (EA Round 1), Indiana Kelley(R2), NUS (R1) and also one other school strong in Marketing (R2).

Please advise on which schools to target?
Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:35 am
Hello,

Thanks for posting... it sounds like you've thought through a lot of aspects of applying (school choice, goals, etc) which is a great starting point. Schools are always looking for qualified female applicants and your experience with the real estate family business should help you stand out from the large pool of Indian IT/engineering applicants, even though that was what your degree was in. If you can articulate how your past experience brought about your interest in your ST and LT goals you mentioned in digital marketing, which I'd think shouldn't be a problem, you'll have a strong overall story for 'why get the MBA' which helps a lot. Your interests and passions outside of work are also positives and demonstrate that you'll likely be involved on campus.

I think you should have good chances at the schools you mentioned. ISB's GMAT is on the higher/reach side, so depends on how strong they feel your experience is. As for schools generally considered strong in Marketing, you could also look at Fuqua or McCombs perhaps? And/or U. of Wisconsin-Madison, Fordham in NYC?

Keep us posted on questions and how things are going... good luck to you!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by hifunda » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:33 am
Thanks much Jen for your encouraging words! You're right, I am banking on the fact that I will be a little non-traditional atleast among Indian Female applicants.

I did send even my GMAT scores to Fuqua but people have been telling me not to apply to so many top tier schools! I may give Fuqua/Ross a shot in Round 2 though..

Will also take a closer look at Marshall, McCombs, Goizueta and Broad, and decide one among them.

What do you think of these school choices?
Are they good, or should I aim to be even more safe?

Thanks,
Tara.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:18 pm
Hi there,

Well some are 'reach' schools certainly, but it's worth applying to a couple reach schools if you have the time to invest in the applications and are interested in them. You can view the mid 80% range of GMAT scores at your list of schools to see how far off the 650 really is, to give you a better feel. Keep us posted!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders