I am confused on this CR - Please Help

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

I am confused on this CR - Please Help

by theCodeToGMAT » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:00 pm
Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the many centuries during which the ancient Egyptians made only unleavened bread, such yeasts must frequently have been mixed into bread doughs accidentally. The Egyptians, however, did not discover leavened bread until about 3000 B.C. That discovery roughly coincided with the introduction of a wheat variety that was preferable to previous varieties because its edible kernel could be removed from the husk without first toasting the grain. Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest evidence that the two developments were causally related?

A. Even after the ancient Egyptians discovered leavened bread and the techniques for reliably producing it were well known, unleavened bread continued to be widely consumed.
B. Only when the Egyptians stopped the practice of toasting grain were their stonelined grain.toasting pits available for baking bread.
C. Heating a wheat kernel destroys its gluten, a protein that must be present in order for yeast to
leaven bread dough.
D. The new variety of wheat, which had a more delicate flavor because it was not toasted, was reserved for the consumption of high officials when it first began to be grown.
E. Because the husk of the new variety of wheat was more easily removed, flour made from it required less effort to produce.

OA is C
R A H U L

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by vinay1983 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:57 pm
theCodeToGMAT wrote:Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the many centuries during which the ancient Egyptians made only unleavened bread, such yeasts must frequently have been mixed into bread doughs accidentally. The Egyptians, however, did not discover leavened bread until about 3000 B.C. That discovery roughly coincided with the introduction of a wheat variety that was preferable to previous varieties because its edible kernel could be removed from the husk without first toasting the grain. Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest evidence that the two developments were causally related?

A. Even after the ancient Egyptians discovered leavened bread and the techniques for reliably producing it were well known, unleavened bread continued to be widely consumed.
B. Only when the Egyptians stopped the practice of toasting grain were their stonelined grain.toasting pits available for baking bread.
C. Heating a wheat kernel destroys its gluten, a protein that must be present in order for yeast to
leaven bread dough.
D. The new variety of wheat, which had a more delicate flavor because it was not toasted, was reserved for the consumption of high officials when it first began to be grown.
E. Because the husk of the new variety of wheat was more easily removed, flour made from it required less effort to produce.

OA is C
I think it is C, since they must have known the effect of yeasts on the dough only after they stopped heating/toasting the wheat. This coincided with the discovery of the new wheat variety.

I have some doubts about the source of this question. The reason I say this is because the opening phrase sounds incorrect. Also roasting or heating could have been used instead of toasting.

Never mind, just curious:)

What is the source?
You can, for example never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to!

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:24 pm
vinay1983 wrote:
theCodeToGMAT wrote:Yeasts capable of leavening bread are widespread, and in the many centuries during which the ancient Egyptians made only unleavened bread, such yeasts must frequently have been mixed into bread doughs accidentally. The Egyptians, however, did not discover leavened bread until about 3000 B.C. That discovery roughly coincided with the introduction of a wheat variety that was preferable to previous varieties because its edible kernel could be removed from the husk without first toasting the grain. Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest evidence that the two developments were causally related?

leaven bread dough.

OA is C
I think it is C, since they must have known the effect of yeasts on the dough only after they stopped heating/toasting the wheat. This coincided with the discovery of the new wheat variety.

I have some doubts about the source of this question. The reason I say this is because the opening phrase sounds incorrect. Also roasting or heating could have been used instead of toasting.

Never mind, just curious:)

What is the source?

Yes, correct.
Now I understood the connection; I was trying to separate two events "heating" &"toasting" and was stuck between the connection of this event.

The option [C] clearly marks that "When Egyptians switched to Wheat, in which there was no need for Toasting/heating, they must have discovered "leaven bread" as the protein was not destroyed.

Not sure of Source.... I am doing some random question from many PDFs I have.
R A H U L

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:49 pm
Hi,

This question is written in an odd way, in that the question itself tells you what logic to use. Sometimes CR questions ask you to focus on a particular entity or part of the argument, but they don't typically tell you what type of logic is used.

"Causality" is the idea that one thing causes another. It's a common-enough logic concept on the GMAT that several of your CR questions will be "built" on it. It's up to you to SPOT IT though. Here, you're told that the prompt is about causality, which is something the real GMAT likely won't do.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made.
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Nitin.811g » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:35 pm
Yes C it should be...

by Nitin.811g » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:36 pm
Yes C it should be...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members

by lunarpower » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:45 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi,

This question is written in an odd way, in that the question itself tells you what logic to use. Sometimes CR questions ask you to focus on a particular entity or part of the argument, but they don't typically tell you what type of logic is used.

"Causality" is the idea that one thing causes another. It's a common-enough logic concept on the GMAT that several of your CR questions will be "built" on it. It's up to you to SPOT IT though. Here, you're told that the prompt is about causality, which is something the real GMAT likely won't do.

Rich
--

I received a private message about this post.

It's true that prompt questions like this one are rare in GMAC's materials. But, fundamentally, it doesn't matter, because exactly the same task can be expressed with the specifics in the passage, rather than in the question.

E.g., consider the following 2 hypothetical problems.

1/
Xxxxxxxxxxxx blah blah blah. When A happened, B happened afterward.
Which of the following provides the strongest evidence of a causal relationship between A and B?

2/
Xxxxxxxxxxxx blah blah blah. When A happened, B happened afterward. Therefore, A must have caused B.
Which of the following most strengthens the argument above?

These are exactly the same. No difference at all whatsoever.
So, there's no sense in worrying about exactly where the logic is specified. Maybe it'll be in the passage; maybe it'll be in the question. Maybe some of both. At the end of the day, it's all the same.

Also, there are plenty of GMAC items in which the necessary logic is within the prompt question, rather than within the passage. In fact, if you open OG13 up to the critical reasoning chapter, the very first question (problem #1) provides a perfect example -- the question is four lines long, and mentions all sorts of essential specifics.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by rakeshd347 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:03 am
lunarpower wrote:
[email protected] wrote:Hi,

Rich
--

I received a private message about this post.

It's true that prompt questions like this one are rare in GMAC's materials. But, fundamentally, it doesn't matter, because exactly the same task can be expressed with the specifics in the passage, rather than in the question.

E.g., consider the following 2 hypothetical problems.

1/
Xxxxxxxxxxxx blah blah blah. When A happened, B happened afterward.
Which of the following provides the strongest evidence of a causal relationship between A and B?

2/
Xxxxxxxxxxxx blah blah blah. When A happened, B happened afterward. Therefore, A must have caused B.
Which of the following most strengthens the argument above?

These are exactly the same. No difference at all whatsoever.
So, there's no sense in worrying about exactly where the logic is specified. Maybe it'll be in the passage; maybe it'll be in the question. Maybe some of both. At the end of the day, it's all the same.

Also, there are plenty of GMAC items in which the necessary logic is within the prompt question, rather than within the passage. In fact, if you open OG13 up to the critical reasoning chapter, the very first question (problem #1) provides a perfect example -- the question is four lines long, and mentions all sorts of essential specifics.
Hi Ron,

I have done the OG questions 2 times already and lot of the question stems itself ask you to think about what question is asking for? Now This question is not too bad but I want to mention this that I have done so many CR questions and this question is in one of the LSAT exams. Now I have done some LSAT CR too but my experience has been very bad and it has done more harm than good. I don't think we should be doing LSAT CR ( this is my personal view and I could be wrong). But to the guys who are doing it please be aware of the fact that the LSAT CR is just awkward.....I was scoring around 740 on mocks and got 690 on real test and I keep LSAT CR responsible for that in my last 2 weeks.
RON do you recommend doing LSAT CR for GMAT prep?

Thanks
Rakesh

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:07 am
rakeshd347 wrote: RON do you recommend doing LSAT CR for GMAT prep?
No.
Different skill sets.
If you get too much into the thinking mode of one of these, you'll get out of the thinking mode of the other.

Most LSAT logical reasoning questions test formal logic. If you could teach digital circuits to understand English sentences, then digital circuits could solve most of those problems.
There are some exceptions, but that's mostly what's on the LSAT section. If A then B, if not-C then not-B, therefore if A then C, etc. Because lawyers use that kind of reasoning all the time.

Almost no GMAT questions ever use formal logic. (I think there are one or two of those, out of the entire OG.) The vast majority of the GMAT CR problems require everyday human thinking / real-world observations / common sense.
E.g., in OG13 #94, you have to know that they build tall buildings mainly in expensive places. How do you know this? Because you're a human being who is not from the jungle.
In OG13 #110 (= OG12 #109), you have to know that people will be less likely to do bad things if they know they might get caught. How do you know this? Because you're a human being. You knew this fact even when you were six years old (kids don't act up when the principal is standing there!). But a computer doesn't know it.

If you get too much into "LSAT mode", you simply won't be able to make these kinds of connections anymore. Your brain will be too busy trying to be a digital circuit.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Followed by:1 members

by ngalinh » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:12 pm
Ron! I just came back from a lawyer's office and saw this:
lunarpower wrote: There are some exceptions, but that's mostly what's on the LSAT section. If A then B, if not-C then not-B, therefore if A then C, etc. Because lawyers use that kind of reasoning all the time.
"Notarize" what you said :)
If you get too much into "LSAT mode", you simply won't be able to make these kinds of connections anymore. Your brain will be too busy trying to be a digital circuit.
If that's true, then a lawyer hardly succeeds in the business field. Why do some school offer a dual JD/MBA? (just curious)

But overall, it sounds very persuasive!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:31 am
ngalinh wrote:If that's true, then a lawyer hardly succeeds in the business field. Why do some school offer a dual JD/MBA? (just curious)
Business management and legal wrangling require different skill sets -- hence 2 different exams (and 2 different kinds of graduate school!) with different emphases.
On the other hand, there are lots of intersections between the business and legal worlds, so having both skill sets is an asset.

It's like speaking 2 different languages. If you know both of them, you can facilitate communication between those who don't.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Followed by:1 members

by ngalinh » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:52 pm
lunarpower wrote:
...there are lots of intersections between the business and legal worlds, so having both skill sets is an asset.

It's like speaking 2 different languages. If you know both of them, you can facilitate communication between those who don't.
Oai. Done. Surrender. Are you also a lawyer?