Profile Evaluation - thanks!

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation - thanks!

by ganj2014 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:14 am
Hello!

Below are a few bullets on my background (slightly detailed because I have a unique circumstance and new to BTG) -

- 30 year old Male - Originally from India, graduated from UNC Chappel Hill in 2005 with 3.72
- Moved to Boston after college - been with PWC in their Strategy Consulting Group for 7.5 Years (HI-B visa) since
- Some international travel for projects but not extended stay in any country
- Obtained my CFA and CPA
- Volunteer with UNICEF (Bombay Office) where I began as an intern for almost 10 years - approx 50-100 hours annual effort every year since 2003
- Taken the GMAT several times (7) with highest score = 670 (Quant - 76%, Verbal 70%) taken a month ago. Note that I took the GMAT 8 months ago and also got 670 (Quant - 67%, Verbal 81%). I started my journey with a very low score of 590 but have improved each time I took the exam (except the last time
- I do not plan to re-take the GMAT because of health related reasons (upcoming surgery)
- I applied to a few schools in the second round last year - Fuqua (waitlisted - no admit), Cornell (waitlisted-no admit), Tuck (denied) and LBS (denied) but I knew there was a chance I would not get in, esp bec of low quant
- I got promoted to Senior Manager this year - very few % of people get promoted this early at PWC
- I want to get into Investment Management post MBA (same career goal as last year) though I am also thinking about Corp. Strategy
- I plan to apply this Fall and really hope to get in - no cushion like last year. Also not looking at Exec MBA, just Full-time

So, I have 4 questions for you - would appreciate if you answer all 4.

1) For the schools that I have not applied to, I plan on submitting my "new" (same overall score with different breakout) GMAT score - which is a better balance between quant and verbal - but should I send new score to Fuqua, LBS and Cornell? I don't know if they perceive my effort as positive or negative given how many times I have taken and no score improvement. Additionally, I could take a calculus class from UC berkely extension if I don't re-send my updated score to show effort because I had weak quant last time i.e. 67%?

2) I want to apply to (in priority) Fuqua - early action, Ross (first round), INSEAD (second round), Kellog (first round), LBS (first round) Cornell (second round) and possibly one back-up school such as a Georgetown (second round). What are my realistic chances?

3)Should I talk about/address my low GMAT score/no of times taken in the optional essay or are some things are better unsaid?

4) How can you help me / what SPECIFIC pointers do you have? if you prefer to email - its [email protected]

Thanks!
Mohan

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by mbaMissionJenK » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:10 pm
Hi Mohan,

Thanks for sharing your profile information. You have some strong points in your profile, including:

-strong GPA
-extensive US and also international experiences
-solid PWC experience and the recent promotion
-extensive volunteering experiences if you can describe well and passionately
-CFA/CPA

A few potential challenges or q's...

-The GMAT challenges as you've described, BUT getting the 76th percentile in quant this last time is a lot better in terms of showing you can handle the program (and your GPA shows that too, especially if in a quant major). However a 670 does theoretically 'bring down the average' slightly at some of those programs, which means the rest of your application must be outstanding!

-You'll have higher-than-average years of work experience; doesn't have to be an issue BUT you'll want to ensure you are very clear and specific with your short and long-term post-MBA goals and WHY you need this MBA at this point in your career

-Very generally, at schools that get so many applications, it's important to stand out in some way from the crowd of applicants... so you'll need to work on, what is it about YOU that they should remember and offer an acceptance to you for?? What is unique, what will you bring to the class?

In terms of your q's...

1) Yes I'd list new score; keep in mind all scores are shown on the report but schools take the highest, and yes the higher quant is preferable. IF you are able to take a quant class and score well, if you have the time, it would only be another plus.

2) Just very roughly making judgements based upon the info you provided, without the benefit of reading your application essays (which can make or break an application!!), I'd say you should have decent chances at Fuqua, Ross, Georgetown. The others are more reach-schools. Kellogg probably being the biggest challenge, arguably, or tied with LBS.

3) You can make a brief, mature statement about why you feel that your true academic ability is not fully indicated within that GMAT score, if desired; don't need to make a big focus of it.

4) In terms of specific pointers, I think I've provided some in the above, and it's hard to give much more without more information...

Dig deep and brainstorm on what makes YOU unique... b-school admissions decisions are made holistically... it's not just based on grades or facts or stats, but on a holistic picture of the applicant and what they'll contribute to the program, who they are as a person. That is primarily evidenced through your ESSAYS, fyi!! (And interview if you get to that point.) Elements you need to convey in your application for a chance at a top rated program include:
-what past experiences and skills will benefit you in the classroom, and later in your career
-what key traits and experiences make you UNIQUE; basically, 'why YOU??' vs other applicants
-why you want the MBA, with clear short term and long term post-MBA goals
-why NOW
-why that specific school is right for you

If you lack any of the above components, you risk that another well or similarly-qualified applicant who includes all of those, will wind up getting accepted over you!

For more q&a and profile feedback, we do offer a 30 minute free consult... if you are interested in that option, you can register at https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php.

Wishing you the best!
Jennifer Kedrowski
MBA Admissions Consultant
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Visit the mbaMission Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaMission

Like mbaMission on Facebook: www.facebook.com/mbaMission

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

by ganj2014 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:44 am
Thanks!, would you change your first answer, if I told you that my IR score dropped from 67% to 23%?? Sorry just found out this week. Kind of bummed about it!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:39 pm
Hi there--
Bummer about the IR. It is another small negative, BUT the IR is definitely not the focus in the application or even GMAT assessment at this point in time. It's still fairly new and the admissions committees are feeling it out and learning how best to use it; the focus is still on the primary score. Hope that helps!
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]

Register for a Free Consult from mbaMission: https://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Read the Free mbaMission School-Specific Insider's Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

by ganj2014 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:27 am
That helps. So you would say that still report the new score (same overall score of 670, higher quant by 10% and lower verbal by 10%) to all new apps and re-applications??

Many thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by mbaMissionJenK » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:22 am
I would! Higher quant is a plus. ;)
Jennifer Kedrowski
www.mbamission.com
[email protected]