Agencies converting GPA how consistent?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mbaprocrastinator » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:24 am
Its interesting to hear what Stacey had to say about converting the GPA from foreign schools. The main comment that perked my interest was regarding hiring an outside service. How would the outside service be able to come up with a method to convert say a percentage (like venkb had indicated) to a GPA. Does the outside service analyze the performance of students from a particular country and benchmark these performances based on a common platform? If such an analysis is indeed performed, does the outside service consult with the school and reach an agreement on what they find? I'm just curious because there seems to be lack of "common ground" if two candidates use two different outside services and apply to the same school. If someone can elaborate on this it will provide a great deal of insight for a newbie like me.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:12 pm
mbaprocrastinator wrote:Its interesting to hear what Stacey had to say about converting the GPA from foreign schools.
I performed a searched to find following thread...

hope you might find them useful as well

https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?p=4944

https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=624
Does the outside service analyze the performance of students from a particular country and benchmark these performances based on a common platform? If such an analysis is indeed performed, does the outside service consult with the school and reach an agreement on what they find? I'm just curious because there seems to be lack of "common ground" if two candidates use two different outside services and apply to the same school. If someone can elaborate on this it will provide a great deal of insight for a newbie like me.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
First of all most of the colleges (best b-schools) accept your UG score as it is. They dont ask you to convert them.
If they do, then they also refer you to an agency. So most of the time theres no discrepancy in ^comparing^ each ones converted scores

Dear mbaprocrastinator,
still,
Outside agencies Do a good research on this issue. And they do consider all parameters that set a cetain undergraduate school apart from the others.
Parameters such as
leniency in your UG college scorring pattern
competition
Standard/reputation of UG college and programme
and many more which I dont remember at this unearthy hours :lol:

A lot been discussed on this issue on various forum boards/ websites and more importantly offline as well.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mbaprocrastinator » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:21 pm
Thank you for following up on this particular point. I will go through the links you have provided, maybe I should look more before blurting out something :). If I offended anyone with my earlier post, please accept my apologies.

Cheers!

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:40 pm
Not at all offended...
We are here to help :)

just that I'll make this topic separate from the sticky one...