Quadrilateral ABCD

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:730

Quadrilateral ABCD

by faraz_jeddah » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:25 pm
What is the area of the quadrilateral ABCD?

1) Each diagonal bisects the other diagonal into two pieces that equal √ 2
2) Each side is equal and has a length of 2

EDIT: Answer I picked was C but OA is A
Last edited by faraz_jeddah on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:19 pm
S1:: It's a square or a rectangle. If it's a square, it has sides of 2. If it's a rectangle, it has sides l and w such that (l² + w²) = 8.

S2:: It's a square or a rhombus. If it's a square, the area is 4. If it's a rhombus, it depends on the angles.

S1 and S2:: It's a square with sides of 2, so we're good!

by faraz_jeddah » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:57 pm
Sorry the OA is A

The answer I picked was C.

Source: Stratus prep.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:26 am
faraz_jeddah wrote:What is the area of the quadrilateral ABCD?

1) Each diagonal bisects the other diagonal into two pieces that equal √ 2
2) Each side is equal and has a length of 2

EDIT: Answer I picked was C but OA is A
by the way, guys, this "spoiler" stuff messes up the forum experience for people who use tablets (ipad, etc.) if someone is using a tablet, then it's actually impossible for him/her to see what's behind the "blackouts". just fyi, probably shouldn't do that.

if the official answer to this question is (a), then the official answer is wrong.
as Matt has pointed out, "diagonals bisect each other into equal parts" is true of ANY rectangle. (if you don't see why, just draw a bunch of rectangles.)
so, under condition #1, the rectangle can range anywhere from a square to a long and skinny rectangle with almost no area. that's not sufficient.

so you are correct, and the answer key is incorrect. the answer to this problem (as transcribed here, at least) is (c).

--

random nitpick:
the wording of statement 2 is funky here, too. "each side is equal" is a nonsense statement, since "equal" is not something that can apply to a singular thing. if this fact were on the official exam, it would say something like "all side lengths are equal" or "any 2 sides have the same length".

statement 1 has a bigger issue: "two pieces that equal √2" is ambiguous. when i see that statement, i don't know whether that means (a) each piece measures √2 units, or (b) the sum of the pieces is √2 units.

so, yes, there are problems with this problem.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by faraz_jeddah » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:57 am
Thanks Ron! I appreciate your reply.

Regarding the spoiler comment - is there a better solution? I personally get disinterested in the problem if I unintentionally see the OA.

GMAT Instructor

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:58 pm
To piggyback on Ron's remarks,

1:: I prefer posts without the OA (which I try not to read, though the flesh is weak). Without the OA, there are fewer explanations that seem designed to justify the answer, and there's a lot more discussion: people like to give the question a go, and as a result there's more to discuss, especially common mistakes. Addressing these via counterexamples is vital: if you're trying to learn something complex, you learn as much (if not more) by learning why the wrong answer is wrong than by learning why the right one is right.

2:: Blacking out the OA in the explanation seems a little silly, given that all of the steps are posted in bold and CAPS. If you want to preserve the suspense, you need to black out all the meaningful deductions.

That does lead me to one issue I have with the boards -- probably a case of "When in Rome ..." for all of us -- and that's that our answers are too thorough and direct. I like the Professor Layton way of having three hints per question: the first gives a nudge, the second a direction, and the third the key to the problem. If you can get it with one hint, it's a good question to review; if you can get it with two, it's a sign that you're doing well but need more practice on the concept; and if you can only get it with three (or not at all), it's too hard at this point, and you need to work up to it.

The moral here, per Polya: if you can't solve a problem, there's probably an easier problem you should try first. Way too many students ruin their GMAT scores by agonizing over questions that they won't see (yet) on a CAT: if you're currently at the 50th percentile in math, the questions you need to sweat are the ones from the 45th percentile to the 60th, not the ones above the 85th.

Hints also force you to make a lot more connections yourself - a better way to learn. But that's tough to force everyone to do, and not what every questioner wants, so it is what it is.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:28 am
Matt@VeritasPrep wrote: if you're currently at the 50th percentile in math, the questions you need to sweat are the ones from the 45th percentile to the 60th, not the ones above the 85th.
this is a dangerous game to play, because it's pretty much impossible to detect the "percentile" of a question (and, more importantly, because thinking about that kind of thing at all is nothing but a distraction from the things that actually matter).

in fact, it's often hard even to tell whether a question is in the top or bottom half of the difficulty spectrum, let alone which approximate "percentile" it's in.
e.g., the DS problems labeled #53 and #58 in OG13 were labeled #165 and #171, respectively, in OG12. Quick! Are they in percentile 50-99 (as the OG12 rankings would seem to indicate) or in percentile 1-49 (as the OG13 rankings would)?
ummmm.... yeah.

and there's also, simply put, the fact that there's no such thing as an "Nth percentile test taker" on a micro level. on a macro level obviously that concept exists, but it's just not a thing when it comes to individual problems.

i.e., almost every student i've ever taught has distinct strengths and weaknesses. so, even if you knew the "percentiles" of the problems, that still wouldn't be a useful guide for any individual student, since there would be some subjects/topics in which (s)he would nail the top-level questions but others in which (s)he would founder on much (supposedly) "easier" questions.
it would be absurd to think that any given test taker would be best served by doing the "Nth percentile questions" across the board and ignoring the others -- even if you knew those rankings exactly (which, of course, you don't).

it's best simply not to think about "percentiles" at all. who cares?
just try to solve the problems.

as for judging whether a problem is too easy or too hard for you, well, that's where the "three hints" protocol (mentioned earlier) comes in.
i.e., if you still don't understand something after a fair amount of hand-holding/spoon-feeding, then it's best to leave it for the moment and come back to it later.

--

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:29 am
matt wrote:
That does lead me to one issue I have with the boards -- probably a case of "When in Rome ..." for all of us -- and that's that our answers are too thorough and direct.
i mean, i feel what you're saying here, but i'm on the other side of this particular fence (= i'm on the "thorough and direct = good" side of the fence).

see, if i knew that this was most people's first encounter with the question at hand, i'd probably be more indirect myself. but i usually assume that, if someone has taken the time and trouble to post about a problem on a public forum, then (s)he has been puzzling over that problem for a good long time already.
if that's the case, then, i would imagine, this student would get really annoyed if i only "dropped hints" as to how to solve the problem. at that point, if i were him/her, i would just be like "i've had it with this problem, someone tell me where i'm going wrong".
but that's just me.

^^^ the above is also why i don't generally answer threads without specific questions about a problem. if a student just posts a problem and says "explain this problem", then i'd prefer that they think it over enough to formulate some specific questions first.
but (in my opinion anyway) if a student has already thought about the problem enough to produce a specific question(s), then it's time to ... well, just answer the questions.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by faraz_jeddah » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:47 am
Just to chime in, I agree with both of you - Matt & Ron.

Some explanations are too direct and really let the student off "easy" by not letting him/her grasp the concept. By no means is this the expert's fault.

I will not speak for the other people on the forum but personally I used to have a mental fallacy where I would say - "Oh thats the solution..if something similar comes up in the exam - I ll ace it."

I had to learn that this is not the right approach to this exam and I learnt it the hard way.

GMAT Instructor

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:50 am
EDIT: Looking at how long my response is, I took it to PM; otherwise this thread may quickly bloviate out of control.
Last edited by Matt@VeritasPrep on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GMAT Instructor

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:07 pm
lunarpower wrote:(in my opinion anyway) if a student has already thought about the problem enough to produce a specific question(s), then it's time to ... well, just answer the questions.
Yup, that's fair - it is maddening not to know, or to get the right answer but be unsure that your logic was correct, and I think your policy is sound. My concern is scratching an itch that will just break out somewhere else: there will always be lots of problems you can't even approach at present - I have a whole book of them myself - and it's more fruitful to ask about questions you mostly get than those that have you wondering what language the question is speaking.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:58 pm
Matt@VeritasPrep wrote:EDIT: Looking at how long my response is, I took it to PM; otherwise this thread may quickly bloviate out of control.
i was going to suggest that, yeah.

(remember, though, everyone who's subscribed to the thread will see the first version of your post... lol)

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

GMAT Instructor

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:41 pm
lunarpower wrote:
Matt@VeritasPrep wrote:EDIT: Looking at how long my response is, I took it to PM; otherwise this thread may quickly bloviate out of control.
i was going to suggest that, yeah.

(remember, though, everyone who's subscribed to the thread will see the first version of your post... lol)
That's OK - we're low on tote bags, so we'll make this our reward to subscribers.