Mgmat: Prada

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Mgmat: Prada

by shubhamkumar » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:03 am
Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers, surprised many insiders in moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam in 2007

A.Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers, surprised many insiders in moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam in 2007

B.Prada, the Italian fashion house that is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised many insiders in 2007, moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam

C.In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam

D.The Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers in 2007, was a surprise to many insiders when it moved its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam

E.In 2007, surprising many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam, the Italian fashion house Prada was one of the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers

OA:C

I understand that in A "in moving" is incorrectly placed, and it should rather be " by moving".
There have been a couple of SC questions where "in ver+ing" is used correctly. Can someone explain when using "in verb+ing" will be correct and what is the rule for that phrase?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:21 am
Typically you will use the "in verb-ing" for when the ing form of the verb is the a gerund. Or when the verb is acting as a noun.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:30 am
shubhamkumar wrote:Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers, surprised many insiders in moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam in 2007

A.Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers, surprised many insiders in moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam in 2007

B.Prada, the Italian fashion house that is among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised many insiders in 2007, moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam

C.In 2007, Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded manufacturers of clothing and accessories, surprised many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam

D.The Italian fashion house Prada, among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers in 2007, was a surprise to many insiders when it moved its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam

E.In 2007, surprising many insiders by moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam, the Italian fashion house Prada was one of the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers
Passive

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:05 pm
shubhamkumar wrote:Italian fashion house Prada, which has been among the most highly regarded clothing and accessory manufacturers, surprised many insiders in moving its sneaker production overseas to Vietnam in 2007

I understand that in A "in moving" is incorrectly placed, and it should rather be " by moving".
There have been a couple of SC questions where "in ver+ing" is used correctly. Can someone explain when using "in verb+ing" will be correct and what is the rule for that phrase?
A - "Parda...surprised many insiders in moving its sneaker production". This means Parda surprised insiders WHILE moving its production. Is this the intended meaning?

See another sentence to understand better: Yet as the century progresses we should not be surprised by more geological disasters as a direct and indirect result of dramatic changes to our environment

It all depends on context; will it be possible for you to share IN+VERBING question - that may help share some more insight

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by buoyant » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:25 am
Hi Ron,

Could you please respond to this thread?
I am not able to get why ans choice B is incorrect.

V-ing modifier can modify a clause by either showing the result of an action or showing the cause of an action. However, choice B is wrong.. According to me ,choice B shows the cause of an action & modifies the previous clause.

Do let me know where my thinking is wrong.

Please explain why is C superior to choice B.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:20 am
The main clause in sentence B is not very robust. It simply says that Prada surprised many insiders. How? Why? C does a better job of answering these questions in the main clause. Clarity is an important part of sentence correction.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:49 am
buoyant wrote:Hi Ron,

V-ing modifier can modify a clause by either showing the result of an action or showing the cause of an action. However, choice B is wrong.. According to me ,choice B shows the cause of an action & modifies the previous clause.

the problem with the modifier in choice (b) is that it's backward. basically, the thing that should be the modifier has been made into the main action, while the thing that should be the main action has been made into a modifier.

here's another example to show what i mean:

I dropped the groceries onto the floor, scaring the baby.
--> this makes sense, because "scaring the baby" is a result of the main action.

on the other hand...
I scared the baby, dropping the groceries onto the floor.
--> this doesn't make sense, because the relationship is actually the reverse.

the same thing is going on here.

* is "surprising many insiders" a result of Prada's decision, which itself is the main action described?
yes.
so, if the sentence were written as "... moved its sneaker production overseas, surprising many insiders", then it would be fine (provided there were no other errors, of course).

* is "moving its sneaker production" a result of "surprising many insiders"?
no.

that's basically the deal here.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by buoyant » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:48 am
lunarpower wrote:
buoyant wrote:Hi Ron,

the problem with the modifier in choice (b) is that it's backward. basically, the thing that should be the modifier has been made into the main action, while the thing that should be the main action has been made into a modifier.

here's another example to show what i mean:

I dropped the groceries onto the floor, scaring the baby.
--> this makes sense, because "scaring the baby" is a result of the main action.

on the other hand...
I scared the baby, dropping the groceries onto the floor.
--> this doesn't make sense, because the relationship is actually the reverse.

the same thing is going on here.

* is "surprising many insiders" a result of Prada's decision, which itself is the main action described?
yes.
so, if the sentence were written as "... moved its sneaker production overseas, surprising many insiders", then it would be fine (provided there were no other errors, of course).

* is "moving its sneaker production" a result of "surprising many insiders"?
no.

that's basically the deal here.

Thank You Ron!

In one of the Thursday sessions, you had mentioned that "Comma+v-ing" also describes the way in which the preceding statement works or is true".

I think I have incorrectly applied that learning here.
It will be great if you can cite some examples to clarify the above usage of v-ing modifier.