Please evaluate my profile

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:570

Please evaluate my profile

by z281991c » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:09 am
Hi
I am currently deployed to Iraq but will be coming back to the states in November. I want to go to Louisiana State for my MBA. Baton Rouge is my hometown and I have purchased to homes there over the past few years. I really do not have any other schools on my list as I have already recieved verbal acceptance to the other schools near home. LSU is the by far the best public school in the area.
Here is some basic information.
- Undergrad- 2.975 GPA, 3.7 GPA last two years Criminal Justice, Troy
- 570 GMAT but will be retaking it in Nov. I had a 20 hour flight two days prior and a family emergency the night before
- I have been in the Army for almost 5 years. From 05-06 I served on my Brigade's Military In Transition Team and the Battalion Command Personal Security Team. Both jobs required extensive interaction with the Iraqi Security Forces and government officials from different countries. 07-08 I am now a squad leader and run the Common Ground Station team for our brigade. This team provides time sensitive intelligence. I am responsible for over 2 million in equipment and have 3 soldiers under my direct supervision.
- I have been involved in investments (stocks and mutual funds) for over 4 years and have grown my retirement and investment accounts to over $40,000 and have purchased two houses.
- awards- Combat Action Badge, Army Commendation Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, Meritorious Unit Commendation. I was featured on the Trump Towers website for procuring financial education materials and teaching my fellow soldiers the importance of financial well being.
- interesting personal facts - Lived in Iraq for 27 months

The school's website states that a 3.0 GPA is required. Does this automatically disqualify me? Over the past 4 years I have maintained at least a 3.5 GPA and many of those classes were taken in a combat environment.

Thank you

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:33 am
You have an impressive profile. Your GPA should not keep you out of the programs you have targeted. If you can score higher on the GMAT, you could be competitive for other higher ranked MBA programs as well. However, it also may make sense financially for you to go to school near home.

When writing your essays and being interviewed, be sure to highlight your experiences in terms of leadership, innovation, and international exposure. You have many qualities that would make you a great addition to an MBA class.

Best of luck!
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:570

by z281991c » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:30 pm
Thanks for the fast response and boost of confidence. Is LSU not considered at good business school? What do you think my chances are of getting into the MBA/JD program, assuming I raise my GMAT and score high enough on the LSAT?

Thanks again

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:28 am
I honestly do not know a lot about LSU's business school however it is not in the Top 20. I believe the current Business Week ranking is #62. It makes sense to pursue a degree at a higher ranked program if you plan to work on Wall Street or at a prestigious consulting firm. Higher ranked programs tend to have stronger recruiting relationships with top companies and their graduates tend to start jobs higher on the salary scale. However, if you plan to work locally or utilize your own network to secure a job then LSU may be fine for you.

As for the MBA/JD, most programs still make their admissions decisions based upon whether the applicant meets their criteria. Therefore, you must be as competitive for the law school as you are for the business school.

Finally, visit the Veritas website and use the school selector tool (free) https://www.veritasprep.com/selector to get an idea of which programs you should consider.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options