Scores for different parts in the verbal section

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
I heard from different GMAT instructors and I think I even read soemwhere that SC scores higher then CR and the last is RC. Yesterday I took a Kaplan Diag. test (non adaptative) and I came up with the same conclusion, and here is why:

Missed questions:
SC: 3
RC: 3
CR: 4

while for SC the percentile was 80%, for RC was 75% and, by missing just one more question in CR the scored dropped to 65%. Amazing right?
Any thoughts?
Isis Alaska

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members
isisalaska wrote:I heard from different GMAT instructors and I think I even read soemwhere that SC scores higher then CR and the last is RC. Yesterday I took a Kaplan Diag. test (non adaptative) and I came up with the same conclusion, and here is why:

Missed questions:
SC: 3
RC: 3
CR: 4

while for SC the percentile was 80%, for RC was 75% and, by missing just one more question in CR the scored dropped to 65%. Amazing right?
Any thoughts?
I'm a little confused by the question. It's my understanding that scoring for verbal doesn't depend on the question type (SC, CR, RC). It's all about the number of difficult questions you get correct by the end of the section.

I don't think you should read too much into individual performance of specific sections...
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:48 pm
Well I have a lot to say about this.
Just will wait for your response as what exactly you want to suggest////

I dont believe in what you have suggested, but would write more once you elaborate a bit.

By the way, if you check the diagnostic test of OG 11 you will realise that it's CR where people score less (meaning: most of the people find CR most tough & commit mistakes)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:08 pm
Scoring depends upon the difficulty level of the question, not on the question type. It also doesn't depend on percentage correct (well, it does a little bit, obviously you can't get everything wrong and still get a good score) - but the single biggest factor is the difficulty level of the question. And that will vary based on your performance on the test.

Some instructors / programs counsel students to try to get as many SC right as possible, but that's simply because CR and RC are so time-consuming and have the potential to be more confusing than SC b/c there's a lot more going on.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:25 pm
Stacey Koprince wrote: Some instructors / programs counsel students to try to get as many SC right as possible, but that's simply because CR and RC are so time-consuming and have the potential to be more confusing than SC b/c there's a lot more going on.
Consider a case:
lets say you invest 1.8 times more time for CR & RC than SC. Thats obvious since CR & RC are time consuming.
But what if you end up having more SCs at the last part of test. say 4 out of last six questions were from SC.

Now in such cases you actually run out of time and never be able to solve SCs that means even if you prepare well for SC it wont help your overall verbal score.

So the bottom line is you cannot excel in verbal mastering a single type of problems. you can put all eggs in one basket.