100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 2

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

please rate my essay

by preetha_85 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:21 am
Corporations and other businesses should try to eliminate the many ranks and salary grades that classify employees according to their experience and expertise. A ‘flat’ organizational structure is more likely to encourage collegiality and cooperation among employees.”

The debate about whether flat organizations are better than hierarchical organizations is an often repeated one. In my discussion I would like to present points to show that a hierarchical organization is better than a flat organization and hence a hierarchical organization is more competent and productive.

As all of us know most successful organizations in today’s world only have an hierarchical structure. This in itself proves the efficacy of the hierarchical system . Hierarchical organizations provide employees with a structured work environment. Such an environment defines roles and responsibilities very clearly for every employee and thereby theres no ambiguity as to what needs to be done. This helps in the company’s growth since if every employees knows his/her role they tend to be more focused in their work and the work is also delivered on time.

Secondly we must also acknowledge the fact that in a hierarchical organization people who are in higher levels possess good leadership skills and have the ability to motivate teams to do better.
In any organizations we have different kinds of people working. Neither will all of them be self motivated nor will they all posses similar skill sets. It’s the role of the leaders to deal accordingly with each member in the team and motivate them to deliver quality results on time. Without a leader the team is like a ship lost in mid sea.
Since leaders play such important roles it is imperative that organizations recognizes them. The organizations does this by giving them better salaries and more responsibilities. This system also boosts the morale of employees since they believe that if they too do their jobs well and exhibit leadership qualities they too will be rewarded .

However in the case of a flat organization there will be no motivation amongst employees to perform better since in such a structure there exists no concept of promotions. Also since all employees are at the same level there might not be anybody wholly responsible for the success/failure of the project, in which case the employees may just slack in their work. The absence of control over the team may lead to situations wherein the projects may not be completed on time leading to a bad reputation for the company.

One major advantage with the flat system is that there exists a high level of collegiality amongst employees. This however can be incorporated into hierarchical systems as well. Most companies have initiated measures to improve collegiality amongst employees. Some companies like Oracle and Infosys offer their employees stock options irrespective their level. A specific airline company in the USA started a novel concept of profit sharing with all its employees. Such systems seem to work like magic with the employees since they believe that they are also owners thus removing the feeling of employees like they are under somebody from whom they have to take orders.

In conclusion I would like to reiterate that hierarchical organizations are indeed more efficient and hence increase productivity and competency of a company as compared to flat organizations.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:57 am
You're on the right track. The main problem is that you don't back up all of your points with specific, real world examples. You mentioned Oracle in the last paragraph. Aim to have one such example backing up all of your points. This will strengthen your argument.

I'll give you a 4 ... if you included examples, I'd give you a 5.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

thanks

by preetha_85 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:21 am
Hi Jim,

thanks a lot.. for ur review. Will incorporate real world examples from the next essay. thanks again.