1000 CR question NO

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

1000 CR question NO

by magical cook » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:14 pm
Hi,

The answer is D) but it looks to me all the questions but C) correct. (or at least logically ok...)

Could anyone please explain why D is right?

Which of the following best completes the passage below?
One tax-reform proposal that has gained increasing support in recent years is the flat tax, which would impose a uniform tax rate on incomes at every level. Opponents of the flat tax say that a progressive tax system, which levies a higher rate of taxes on higher-income taxpayers, is fairer, placing the greater burden on those better able to bear it. However, the present crazy quilt of tax deductions, exemptions, credits, and loopholes benefits primarily the high-income taxpayer, who is consequently able to reduce his or her effective tax rate, often to a level below that paid by the lower-income taxpayer. Therefore, ______

(A) higher-income taxpayers are likely to lend their support to the flat-tax proposal now being considered by Congress

(B) a flat-tax system that allowed no deductions or exemptions would substantially increase actual government revenues

(C) the lower-income taxpayer might well be penalized by the institution of a flat-tax system in this country

(D) the progressive nature of our present tax system is more illusory than real

(E) the flat tax would actually be fairer to the lower-income taxpayer than any progressive tax system could be

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:44 pm
Another bad question. Ignore it. Both this one and the last one were "draw a conclusion" question types. On the actual test, you are not supposed to make ANY inferences when you draw a conclusion for an argument. The correct answer will be based solely on the information presented without going even a tiny step further.

This source does not appear to be the best source from which to study. :)
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me