9 MONTHS w/ STAGNANT SCORING

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

9 MONTHS w/ STAGNANT SCORING

by NYARCH22 » Sat May 11, 2013 8:45 am
I am a 31 y/o licensed architect interested in pursuing an education and career in real estate finance. After studying and passing 7 license exams for state registration, I thought that the GMAT would not pose a challenge. I have learned that "passing" and "beating" are two different things.

First practice exam- GMAT Prep (Sept 2012): 590
(3) more exams roughly 1 mos. apart: 570, 590,590
Last exam-MGMAT Prep (May 2013): 600

My goal is a 700 (690-710 would make me very happy)

During the past 9 mos. I have spent 1-2 hours a night and atleast 8 hours per weekend preparing (I work on avg. 9-10hrs a day and most Saturdays). I started with the OG, worked my way through MGMAT quant books 1-5 and reviewed advanced quant (briefly). I spent the past two weeks focusing on the GMAT Prep now SC / CR sections. After each exam I go through all questions, categorize my weaknesses and spend the next few weeks tackling them..
My verbal score started with a (35) and has remained constant since Sept. I am frustrated (as you can imagine) because I have learned many new skills but can't find a way to put the information I have taught myself towards the exam. I will state the obvious, MY METHOD IS NOT WORKING!

I am asking for suggestions (besides "give up"). Were you in a similar situation? What was your technique? Could you recommend an online program that worked for you and may help me reach my goal?

I understand that many of these posts are redundant. I would appreciate any information you could provide.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:119 members
GMAT Score:780

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Sat May 11, 2013 11:55 am
Hi Arch!

I don't know if you've been struggling with math, but if you have I'd consider that it might be because you need to work a bit more on your foundations. Learning GMAT quant is almost like learning a language, and too many students (and prep books, for that matter, though not ours!) approach this in "phrasebook" fashion: memorizing a few formulas, honing a few tricks, and trying to bluff or bruteforce their way through unfamiliar topics.

The problem with this strategy, of course, is that the quant section can't be aced (700+) that way: it isn't asking you to make your way around a foreign country on vacation - it's forcing you to have a conversation with an observant native speaker who's trying to deceive you. The grab bag of formulas and tricks will empty out fast; the only way to really confront this exam is to familiarize yourself with the language of math. You don't have to master it, but you do have to speak it: you have to know why these formulas are the way they are, why a certain formula would be useful in a situation in which you've never seen it before, and how to construct an approach out of disparate techniques you've never before put together.

To that end, I'd recommend taking a break from GMAT questions for a while and really focusing on theory. After a recommendation from a former student, I've become a fan of the Art of Problem Solving series (the Prealgebra, Intro to Algebra, and Number Theory books are great for the GMAT): they're stimulating, comprehensive, and nonroutine, just like the GMAT itself, and they force you to learn how to speak math - I loan copies out to students all the time. There are other great resources too (Tutor in a Book's Geometry, Word Problems in Algebra, Forgotten Algebra, the Purple Math website, and Shailesh Shirali's books, to name a few), but these are the first that come to mind and the most comprehensive. I'd spend a month or two doing all the chapters that cover GMAT stuff, THEN come back to GMAT books and GMAT problems. You'll have a great foundation, all the explanations and approaches will make sense - "Now I see WHY they did that!" - and the pattern and logic to the GMAT questions themselves will be revealed, no longer seeming like a collection of arbitrary, unrelated puzzles. Math makes perfect sense if you take it step by step; it's only befuddling if you skip steps and jump from topic to topic. Working with one thorough, clever book will prevent you from doing that.

As for verbal, I found the best approach was to develop a systematic way of approaching any type of problem, and making lists of the errors that categorized bad answers to any given type of problem. I ended up devising my own approach to CR questions -- on inference questions, for example, I said "the bad answers will always either introduce new info, make a bad generalization, or contradict the evidence" -- then followed it. Even if I initially missed a few tricks, that distillation gave me a coherent method: I didn't cobble together a bunch of tricks from other sources, I built a system out of demonstrable errors in official questions and defined that system in terms I found intuitive and memorable. The key is not accepting the GMAT's terms, but defining your own: their explanations (IMHO) are designed to make the questions seem as distant and unrelated as possible, but their questions test far fewer concepts, fallacies, and common errors than you'd think.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon May 13, 2013 3:56 am
Hi there,
From what you've written, it seems you've been doing this almost non-stop for the last 9 months. If so, then the first thing you need to do -- right now -- is to step away from the test for at least a few weeks.
I wrote about this here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/confused-how ... tml#366523

This is not a test of knowledge or memorization; it's a test of thinking.
I don't know about architecture exams, but I would assume that you have to know a lot of stuff to take those. The GMAT is a totally different animal: the only stuff you have to know is (a) the fundamentals of English sentence structure (for SC), and (b) mathematics up to first-year high-school algebra and geometry (for quant). For CR and RC there is no stuff to know at all; those parts of the test depend entirely on (largely unschooled) human reasoning, with perhaps just a little bit of extra precision.

So, basically --
1/ If you've been studying 6-7 days per week, your brain needs a rest. Literally -- it won't be able to manufacture the requisite neural connections if you don't take some time off.
2/ If you've been approaching this exam as a test of knowing stuff, then that approach won't -- and can't -- work. It's an exam that tests thought processes, not stuff (other than the basics for quant and SC).

Good luck.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron