jeff sackmann total gmat math question

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

jeff sackmann total gmat math question

by sana.noor » Sun May 05, 2013 7:01 pm
If p is a postive integer less than 29 and q is the remainder when 29 is divided by p, what is the value of q?
(1) p is a two-digit number.
(2) p = 3^k, where k is a positive integer.

C
however, i believe statement 2 is sufficient to answer the question. if k=1 then the remainder is 2---> 29/3 remainder is 2
if k = 2 then p is 9 and still the remiander is 2
if k = 3 then p is 27 and still the remainder is 2. the question stem says that p is less than 29 so it limits the property of p to 3, 9 or 27. in all three cases, the remiander is 2.
Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Sun May 05, 2013 8:38 pm
sana.noor wrote:If p is a postive integer less than 29 and q is the remainder when 29 is divided by p, what is the value of q?

C
however, i believe statement 2 is sufficient to answer the question. if k=1 then the remainder is 2---> 29/3 remainder is 2
if k = 3 then p is 27 and still the remainder is 2. the question stem says that p is less than 29 so it limits the property of p to 3, 9 or 27. in all three cases, the remiander is 2.
you are correct.

I personally find the jeff sackman's OA can't be taken for granted all the time.
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Blue_Skies » Tue May 07, 2013 11:48 am
If p is a postive integer less than 29 and q is the remainder when 29 is divided by p, what is the value of q?

--------------------

No just Statement 2 is not sufficient. Clearly p==q. Now if you just consider B than their can be multiple values of Q.3,9 or 27. If you include 1 than only 1 value remains(27).

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed May 08, 2013 12:01 am
I received a message about this thread.
yes.

No just Statement 2 is not sufficient. Clearly p==q. Now if you just consider B than their can be multiple values of Q.3,9 or 27. If you include 1 than only 1 value remains(27).
no. those are values of p, not values of q.

there's definitely a misunderstanding here, because you wrote "clearly p=q" (unless 2 equals signs means something else), but it's actually impossible for p and q to be the same here.
If you divide something by p, then the remainder (= q) will always be less than p, That's how remainders work.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Blue_Skies » Wed May 08, 2013 11:02 am
lunarpower wrote:I received a message about this thread.
yes.

no. those are values of p, not values of q.

there's definitely a misunderstanding here, because you wrote "clearly p=q" (unless 2 equals signs means something else), but it's actually impossible for p and q to be the same here.
If you divide something by p, then the remainder (= q) will always be less than p, That's how remainders work.
Thanks Ron. I think sometimes i read the question too fast in order to gain time.This is one of those times.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed May 08, 2013 3:22 pm
Blue_Skies wrote:Thanks Ron. I think sometimes i read the question too fast in order to gain time.This is one of those times.
yeah, you shouldn't do that. if anything, you should read the questions very slowly and carefully.
even if you do that, you'll be spending a few extra seconds at most.

if "time pressure" is a problem, that doesn't mean you have to work/read faster. instead, it means that you have to QUIT faster when you are STUCK.
if you can honestly get to the point where you quit and move on (either by guessing, or by trying another method on the same problem) at the very moment you truly become stuck, then you will have no time-management problems at all.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron