Need explanation of a question

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Need explanation of a question

by sandeep_chhabra » Fri May 16, 2008 4:39 am
The author's assertion that job evaluation is a justifiable technique for comparing dissimilar jobs is qualified by an admission that

<options>

I am not able to understand what the question is asking. Bit confused by it language. Can anyone please guide.

thanks

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by arunmmw » Tue May 20, 2008 9:19 pm
in simple words, author's assertion (on job evaluation....) is supported by which of the following options,
Regards
Arun

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:55 am
Not quite. "Author's assertion" does refer to some kind of claim the author is making (in this case, that something called "job evaluation" is a useful technique for comparing dissimilar jobs). When we qualify something, though, it means that we're either (a) acknowledging some kind of weakness in our argument or claim, or (b) limiting the scope of our claim (eg, "this only applies to high-tech companies"). (These two things can kind of be seen as the same thing - if you have to limit the scope of your claim, that is a weakness.)

So, in this case, we're being asked to find some kind of limitation or weakness in the author's claim - something that the author actually admits ("admission") in the passage, not something that we just think of on our own.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me