salary of an mba grad

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

salary of an mba grad

by leledhananjay » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:51 pm
If i pass out from top 30 colleges in USA for MBA, what kind of salary can i expect in the first year of job? i have 5 years experience in middle east and i have a basic degree of bachelor in mechanical engineering. I have gone through all the statistical data's from various sources on web. Most of them show weighted salaries. But i am quite unsure of the actual figure. Can somebody voice his/her opinion or knowlege?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by avaluxe » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:28 pm
Your salary will depend on many factors - your chosen function (marketing, operations, finance, etc.), where you're located, the size of the company, your past work experience and how it relates to the new position, etc. Your best estimate will come from your target schools, who publish starting salaries for graduates based on function and industry.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by campbellronald7 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:43 pm
I agree with the above said, it is totally depends on person's job skills, knowledge, experience and so many things...So we can't decide on exact figure.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by vomhorizon » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:51 am
Like all ready mentioned, it depends upon many factors, concentrations and geographic area where you wish to work. Most top programs, publish salary statistics on their websites. Use that to form a better picture. Here are some articles that you may wish to read:

https://poetsandquants.com/2012/11/02/wh ... this-year/
https://poetsandquants.com/2013/01/04/hi ... s-of-2012/
https://poetsandquants.com/2012/11/20/th ... a-of-2012/
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful." - Eric Thomas

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by pratik123 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:07 am
I have been working in Cognizant from the past four years. I completed my B.E. in 2009 and after a year started working at the company. I have had a satisfying tenure, however I still feel that I need to grow and that the room for growth is only possible through an MBA degree from a reputed college. I tried getting in for MBA last year but I got a very low GMAT score of 550. I have started preparing again this year and I hope I get in this time. It is quite challenging to prepare for an MBA while working. I don't want to be stuck at the executive level and hence I want to pursue my MBA at this stage. It is quite important for me especially at this age to climb up the ladder to reach middle management. Can anyone recommend a few colleges? I am some savings that I can invest in the course, however I want to be VERY VERY sure before I enroll myself in a course like this. Can you recommend me some colleges? There is absolutely no bar on the location, could be within India or abroad. The only thing I care about right now is the ROI. How much will I earn once I graduate from the college, given my work experience. I am open to studying out of India as long as this requirement is met. Please help guys!

by purvipatel » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:11 am
Even though I agree to what you said, I just feel you are slightly ROI-obsessed. I mean of course it is extremely important, the money you invest should be justified. But there are other things also that you should look at like extra curricular activities, inter-cultural learning, internships, faculty, research publications, guest faculties and from which companies etc. I think these are some aspects that are also equally important.

by ashishkumar12 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:13 am
I did my B.E. as well, worked for 3 years in an IT firm and now have left my job to prepare for an MBA. I can completely understand your situation @Person 1. I am a firm believer of ROI in education. The best way to approach this I think is to look at colleges that give you both, a good return on investment in terms of placements and some good life-long learning.

by EduMentor » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:16 am
Dear all,
I found this conversation quite interesting. understand that return on investment is extremely important. I have been an education consultant for the past 15 years and I can assure you that if you pursue your MBA from a reputed colleges you would get your ROI within 1 or 2 years. However please do not be blind towards the learning aspect!
Regards,
Ajit Iyer
Education consultant
Edumentor

by pratik123 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:17 am
Thank you sir for expert views. IIMs have been out of my list but can provide me with average salaries offered for some of the good colleges?

by purvipatel » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:18 am
To add to Pratik, sir, I am looking at colleges in Dubai as well as India also since my family lives in India and extended family in Dubai. I've done some research, it would be good if you could suggest packages of some colleges like S P Jain Global or ISB please?

by EduMentor » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:21 am
I have noticed that over the years as the credibility of the B-schools increases, the ratio of reputed companies coming for placements also increases. Hence you don't need to worry about the pay packages.For your convenience I am mentioning the average salary of the 3 colleges mentioned by you for the year 2014:·
S P Jain Global
o Course:
§ GMBA - INR 18.3 lacs§ MGB - INR 15.2 lacs·
SPJIMR
o Course:
§ PGDM - INR 17.2 lacs ·
ISB
o Course:
§ PGP - INR 18.1 lacs
Hope this helps!
Regards,
Ajit Iyer
Education Consultant
Edumentor

by pratik123 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:22 am
Thanks a lot Sir

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:53 pm
Also, don't forget that at big companies, salary is just one part of the equation. Think about your total comp. For example, I get a base salary, a geographic differential, stock, 401k, stock discount plan, quarterly bonus, yearly bonus and a yearly retention bonus.
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!