DS weakness - Inequalities - advise- taking GMAT this week

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I'm particularly weak in the DS questions pertaining to Inequalities. Would any have any last minute piece of advise for me?
Also, I'm taking the test dayafter, so your last minute advise is most welcome:)
Thanks in advance

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800
swati.arunahuja wrote:Hi,

I'm particularly weak in the DS questions pertaining to Inequalities. Would any have any last minute piece of advise for me?
Also, I'm taking the test dayafter, so your last minute advise is most welcome:)
Thanks in advance
there are only a couple of things you really have to know about inequalities, but the number of ways in which those things are combined is almost endless.

here are the facts you need to know:

* when you have SIMULTANEOUS INEQUALITIES, here's the simplest guideline to follow:
- ADD only
- MAKE SURE THE INEQUALITY SIGNS FACE THE SAME WAY

for instance, if you are given the inequalities z - 3m > 0 and 4m - z > 0, you can add those in their current state (since both of the inequality signs are "greater than") to yield m > 0.

if you are given, say, a < b and c > d, and you wanted to combine them, you'd simply turn one of them around by multiplying by a negative quantity, usually -1:
-a > -b
c > d
add: c - a > d - b
there are rules you could memorize for subtracting inequalities, but they're a pain - you have to make sure the inequality signs are facing opposite ways, and, worse yet, you have to know which way the sign is supposed to face after you perform the subtraction. that is not friendly - and it produces the same result as multiplying one side by -1 and then adding anyway.

* do not ever forget to FLIP THE INEQUALITY SIGN when you MULTIPLY OR DIVIDE BY A NEGATIVE NUMBER.
also, corollary: if you DON'T KNOW THE SIGN OF A VARIABLE in an inequality, YOU CAN'T DIVIDE OR MULTIPLY BY IT.
this means that you can't "cross multiply" most inequalities, because cross multiplying is really multiplying by both denominators.
see https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/if- ... t2997.html for a problem of this type, on which i made copious comments about what you can and can't do with inequalities (sorry for the cross posting).
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

lunarpower wrote:

Thanks in advance
there are only a couple of things you really have to know about inequalities, but the number of ways in which those things are combined is almost endless.

* when you have SIMULTANEOUS INEQUALITIES, here's the simplest guideline to follow:
- ADD only

for instance, if you are given the inequalities z - 3m > 0 and 4m - z > 0, you can add those in their current state (since both of the inequality signs are "greater than") to yield m > 0.

if you are given, say, a < b and c > d, and you wanted to combine them, you'd simply turn one of them around by multiplying by a negative quantity, usually -1:
-a > -b
c > d
there are rules you could memorize for subtracting inequalities, but they're a pain - you have to make sure the inequality signs are facing opposite ways, and, worse yet, you have to know which way the sign is supposed to face after you perform the subtraction. that is not friendly - and it produces the same result as multiplying one side by -1 and then adding anyway.

* do not ever forget to FLIP THE INEQUALITY SIGN when you MULTIPLY OR DIVIDE BY A NEGATIVE NUMBER.
also, corollary: if you DON'T KNOW THE SIGN OF A VARIABLE in an inequality, YOU CAN'T DIVIDE OR MULTIPLY BY IT.
this means that you can't "cross multiply" most inequalities, because cross multiplying is really multiplying by both denominators.
see https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/if- ... t2997.html for a problem of this type, on which i made copious comments about what you can and can't do with inequalities (sorry for the cross posting).
Thanks a lot Ron

lunarpower wrote:

Thanks in advance

- ADD only

-a > -b
c > d

Thanks a lot Ron

lunarpower wrote:

Thanks in advance

- ADD only

-a > -b
c > d

Thanks a lot Ron

Followed by:1 members

by JDesai01 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:04 pm
lunarpower- this was a enormously helpful post. Do you have other helpful thoughts like this aggregated somewhere? Seriously, thanks a ton, this has really helped how I approach inequality questions.

And thanks to whoever asked the question!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by sumithshah » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:03 pm
Ron

Can you throw some light on the rules of subtracting in equalities?