Took GMAT recently -- Need sugesstion !!!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I got a 690 on my GMAT (Q-50, V-33).

About me:
I am working in a software company in India with 2 years Exp. as for now.
My Eng degree was 68%(Electrical)..
I am fine in extra curriculars(Won a few prizes Dance, Sports etc at college level and Participated in two State/National Olympiads at school level )

My targeted colleges will include one's with Good financial aid (Not that desperate for top schools.. but aid + School Rank will be important factor for me )

Please suggest me 1) if you could give me a few names that i could look for 2) Need suggestions on what all MBA i can go with IT background(I know it's personal interest, but still want to know the trend and experiances)...and 3) if i should wait for another year to apply(so as to add another year to my profile and make it some 3.5+ )

Thanks!!!
Rachit.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:36 pm
Hi Ranchit,
Thanks for your post. As you probably know, its very difficult to get into a top MBA program as an Indian IT candidate. And your GMAT score of 690 is slightly on the lower end of some of your peers.

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Right !!!

by rachitgrover » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:15 am
Well... Thanks for reply.. I understand that...

I am definitely not looking for top colleges(not top 20 i think).

Basically i am looking your help on "which MBA i should/can go for"?
I understand this is personal decision...but still wants to know the usual trends followed by IT ppl and then want to decide what suits me best...

Regards,
Rachit

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:24 pm
Hi Ranchit,

There are many strong MBA programs outside of the top 20. You should try to narrow your search based on criteria that is important to you.

For example, is there a specific region you wish to be in / work in? California? Midwest?

What industries are interesting to you? Technology? Finance? Energy?

Take a step back and think about what criteria is important for you. Once you narrow your search, then look for schools that fit your needs.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep