Meaningful Princeton Review Cd-Rom Test Result?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi, I have a question about a result on the Princeton Review cd-rom tests. I took test #1, but only completed the verbal section since that is what I am focusing on (there is an option to skip the math section). After I completed the test I received the following read out as my score V:39 M:0 T:360. Does this mean if i were to perform equally well on the math section (360) that I would score a 720 overall? I think it does, but I want to confirm since I answered than 10 questions incorrectly -- they were later in the section. If this result is half way to 720, then the hard work is paying off. If not, then i'm going to beat my head in with all of these books I purchased... I'm concerned only because 75% is not a great success rate...

I then have 3 follow up questions:
1) Does the Kaplan cd-rom work the same way?
2) Can anyone confirm whether the Princeton Review and Kaplan cd-roms are computer adaptive?
3) When you do a practice verbal set, how many on average are you getting right in the set? My range is 70% and 80%, with an 85% occasionally. I alluded to this before -- I would think scoring closer to 85%-90% is necessary for you a 700+ score...

I know that i asked a lot, but i'm struggling to find out where my verbal abilities actually stand at this point.

Appreciate the insight. Good luck to all.
The Answer 4

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:12 pm
Hi, a couple of things in order of importance:

Do not concentrate on percentage correct; this test is NOT scored the way tests in school are scored. The number you get right (or wrong) doesn't matter nearly as much as the difficulty level of the questions you get right and wrong.

Most people will get roughly half of the questions right and roughly half of the questions wrong. (This is approximate - it might be 45% or 56% or whatever.)

If you are below about a 300 or above about a 700, then the percentage correct will start to skew lower or higher, but you're still getting a large number of questions wrong. Even someone scoring in the 99th percentile is getting maybe 3-8 questions wrong in each section (depending on the exact score).

Second, scoring a "360" when taking half the test unfortunately cannot be extrapolated to the whole test. First, verbal is weighted more heavily than math on the test - verbal is essentially worth more. (How much more, though, depends on your particular raw scores.) Second, no one is exactly the same in math and verbal - everyone has a stronger and a weaker area. Third, fatigue is an issue on this (long) test. You will perform better on a verbal section taken in isolation than you will on a verbal section taken as part of a 4-hour long test.

Whenever you take practice tests in order to gauge your overall progress, take the ENTIRE thing (including essays) - I know it's long :) but if you don't, you don't really have a true gauge of your performance.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by fsar45 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:43 pm
Stacey is right on. You need to practice the entire test. It will be important for your confidence and your stamina.

75% is actually quite good. Top schools want 80% and above for each section, but 75% on your first take is a great start.

The Princeton Review tests are adaptive. I do not believe Kaplan's tests are. The PR tests generally are pretty reliable at predicting your score, but you do need to do the whole thing. :-)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:52 pm
I think the 75% the original poster referred to was a percent correct rate. The schools don't get that info - they get the percentile ranking (and, yes, most of the very top schools do want to see 80%+ percentile for each of the subsections, math and verbal).
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by fsar45 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:52 am
Oops, I didn't read it that closely. Guess I shouldn't post that late at night!!

It's still a good start, though.