Pacific Ocean's Floor

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

Pacific Ocean's Floor

by Soumita Ghosh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:26 am

OA B

I am confused with B and D

I found D correct as this choice maintain parallelism between has long been considered too toxic to support life and has hydrothermal vents

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:50 pm
This is a really bad question. For one thing, "estimated at" is not an idiomatically correct usage. "Estimated to be" is the proper idiom (see OG13 #30). So all of these would be incorrect.

For another, the "correct" answer is not grammatically correct. In B, we would have essentially "the ocean floor... has long been considered too toxic, its vents release poisonous metals." This is a run-on sentence! It has two independent clauses incorrectly joined by a comma.

You're right that D would be preferable, but even D has problems. "Has been considered" and "has" are more parallel, but then it would say "and has hydrothermal vents release...," which makes no sense.

I strongly recommend that you stop studying from this source.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:41 am
ok folks, the first thing to note here is that this problem is a (poorly written) knock-off of the following GMAT PREP question:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/sc-with-surf ... 43734.html

a couple of things to note:

* apparently (as evidenced by that problem), "estimated at" is ok.
the difference may be what comes next -- og13 #30 follows "at" with something that isn't a noun, whereas the GPREP problem follows it with a noun. (but, then again, it may not be; there's another problem somewhere in the OG that uses "dated at", followed by a non-noun.)

in any case, gmac has distanced itself from testing such idioms (and with good reason), so this isn't worth worrying about.

--
ceilidh.erickson wrote:This is a run-on sentence! It has two independent clauses incorrectly joined by a comma.
yep
I strongly recommend that you stop studying from this source.
i second this notion. when you're dealing with a source that contains errors even when mimicking official problems ... well, as my uncle used to say, that's all kinds of ain't good.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron