GMAT experience - 590

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT experience - 590

by jazzwillbe » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:46 pm
Hello Folks,
Just wanted to share my GMAT experience, not a memorable one though. I took my GMAT yesterday and scored a 590 (did't even bother to get the individual scores). I had prepared for about 3 months for about 2 hrs per day average. I guess that the reason for my failure is because I took the test for granted. From day one I was not serious. Now having said this, I would not say that I did not prepare well. I prepared well with a planned schedule and enough reading material and ampful practice tests.
I started with princeton reviews online class material and cruised through Kaplan material and OG 11.
I used to think Math was my strong point. So initially I spent most of the time on verbal. Half way through my preparation, about 1 month later I took a diagnostic test in Princeton review in which I got 520. I had done some careless mistakes in Math, so from that point on I started spending some time on Math as well.
Eventually, I took several tests from princeton, kaplan and GMAC. My highest score was 620 in practices. I thought that actual GMAT would be easier. But it was very similar to the GMAC tests and tiring. At the end of verbal section I was completely burnt out that I was not able to read the last few CR questions. It was pathetic.

So right now I am in a break, refresing my mind to figure out what went wrong. I am planning to restart the engine after a week. I would appreciate some suggestions to retake.

1) Are there any other good tests that I can use to practice (leave out princeton, OG11, kaplan)?

2) I am not able to get an appointment other than 9.00 am. Is this a fixed one?

Thanks

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by greatman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:47 pm
try Manhattan online tests

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: GMAT experience - 590

by beatthegmat » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:40 pm
jazzwillbe wrote:Hello Folks,
Just wanted to share my GMAT experience, not a memorable one though. I took my GMAT yesterday and scored a 590 (did't even bother to get the individual scores). I had prepared for about 3 months for about 2 hrs per day average. I guess that the reason for my failure is because I took the test for granted. From day one I was not serious. Now having said this, I would not say that I did not prepare well. I prepared well with a planned schedule and enough reading material and ampful practice tests.
I started with princeton reviews online class material and cruised through Kaplan material and OG 11.
I used to think Math was my strong point. So initially I spent most of the time on verbal. Half way through my preparation, about 1 month later I took a diagnostic test in Princeton review in which I got 520. I had done some careless mistakes in Math, so from that point on I started spending some time on Math as well.
Eventually, I took several tests from princeton, kaplan and GMAC. My highest score was 620 in practices. I thought that actual GMAT would be easier. But it was very similar to the GMAC tests and tiring. At the end of verbal section I was completely burnt out that I was not able to read the last few CR questions. It was pathetic.

So right now I am in a break, refresing my mind to figure out what went wrong. I am planning to restart the engine after a week. I would appreciate some suggestions to retake.

1) Are there any other good tests that I can use to practice (leave out princeton, OG11, kaplan)?

2) I am not able to get an appointment other than 9.00 am. Is this a fixed one?

Thanks
Hi jazzwillbe:

Sorry to hear that you didn't reach your target GMAT score--what is your target GMAT score?

I was just about to recommend Manhattan GMAT tests as well, but greatman beat me to the punch. :) With regards to the appointment time--try different test centers in your area (if there are any). I was able to find appointments in the morning and afternoon when I signed up for the test way back in the day.

Good luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school