Early Profile Evaluation / Advice Request

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Early Profile Evaluation / Advice Request

by yankexpat » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:01 pm
I'm wondering whether it's worth it for me to retake the GMAT during time off in between jobs. I have taken the test twice after college, scoring 700 (46 Q, 40 V) on the first attempt and 670 on the second one (due to a bad testing day).

Would it be advisable for me to try to score higher or is it enough to be competitive 1-2 years down the line if I apply then? I'm hoping to shoot for the elite US business schools- is this realistic?

Other background info:
- Worked for 2 years as an an investment banking analyst at a top 10 bank in NYC
- Moving to the Middle East soon to work for a state-run investment firm (buyout arm of a sovereign wealth fund)
- 3.85 overall GPA at a top 25 university (double majored in finance and history)
- Strong extracurriculars in college (was heavily involved in student government activities)
- Interesting internship experiences (worked for the US Senate Banking Committee and carried out research for the Federal Reserve Board in Washington DC)

Any helpful thoughts / insights would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:35 am
Hi Yank,
Thanks for your post. You have great credentials and are a strong candidate for top MBA programs.

To your question - IMHO, I think a 700 is good enough for a top school, esp since your UG GPA is high. The other question to ask yourself is if you think you can improve your score by 40+ points. Adding 10-30 points will not make a significant difference.

Another issue to consider is when are you planning to apply? As you probably know, GMAT scores are only valid for 5 years.

Instead, I would encourage you to try to 'enhance' other aspects of your application. For example, since you will be overseas for sometime, you could start visiting your top schools (while its still early in the process, doesnt hurt to get your name on AdCom lists and let them know your intentions of applying in a few years).

Another suggestion is picking up post-undergrad ECs. Again, since you will be overseas, you could try to find volunteer opportunites in the US that would allow you to work a few hours a month from abroad (as I am not sure what type of volunteer activities are available where you are going)

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by yankexpat » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:12 am
I appreciate the pointers, Nikhil. Regarding your last recommendation, I'm a bit curious about what you mean. What kinds of US-based volunteer opportunities have you heard of that allow people to help out from abroad? Personally, I'd rather try to do something more hands on in the region where I'll be located.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:21 am
Hi Yank,
Sorry if I wasnt clear - some of the clients I worked with in the past were not able to find volunteer opportunities while working abroad (most of these cases were situations where they didn't know the language or safety/security issues). Therefore, they found means of volunteering online (i.e. acted as a mentor).

But seems like you are looking for volunteer opportunites in your new location, which is perfect.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep