Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:750

Guidance needed

by sulabh » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:03 pm
Hi
Below mentioned are my credentials-

GMAT - 750(Q50,V40)

I am a Bachelor of engineering in Electronics and communication ( 72 % with honors) from an average engineering college in India. I don't know what my GPA would be, as my university used percentage system.

Work experience-1.5 yrs of exp in IT sector (worked as system engineer with Tata Consultancy Services,India. Handled a team of 5. Was also involved in knowledge transfer sessions to the new joinees. Promoted once with good rating).Had to leave my job because of my father's health.So I started with my own business of providing personal finance such as personal loans, home loans. It has been running for 1 year now and currently I have a team of 7 employees working for me.

Extracurricular involvements - Invovled in organizing and managing college fests, providing counselling to juniors in college. Active member of a cultural organization. Managed a function with a gathering of 100000 people last year.

Awards-Recieved Scholarship of merit from government of India for my acedemic performance.

I want to pursue consulting as a career after my MBA. Colleges that I have shotlisted are Kelloggs, HSB, Chicago, ISB(India), Duke.
What do you think my chances are? In what ways can I make my profile stronger to get into these colleges. Thnx!
750(Q50,V40)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:18 pm
Hello S -

Thanks for your post.

As you know, its is hard to gauge your candidacy based on profile/stats, as much of the decision is based on your essays, LORs, interview. However you do have strong credentials, and are likely competitive for the programs mentioned below.

One thing to consider, you are (unfortunately) in one of the most competitive applicant pool - Indians with IT background. Therefore your biggest challenge is how to best differentiate yourself. What makes you different from the thousands of Indian IT applicants that will apply to the same schools with similar backgrounds.

** I would highlight both your entrepreneurship and leadership experience (both professionally and in your ECs) gained at an early age.

Also, I would consider Wharton (over some of the higher ranked schools) as I believe they have a greater "appetite" for Indian applicants.

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by sulabh » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:02 pm
Hi Nikhil,
Thnx for your reply. You rightly pointed out that my indian/IT background is a hurdle for me and to overcome it I need to highlight my leadership exp in my application. However I am more worried about my extra-curriculars. Do you think I can compete with these and is there anything I can do about it ? Also I wanted to know that my friend just got selected for Wharton. By the time I will apply he will start with his classes. Can his recommendation help me in anyway?
750(Q50,V40)

GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:37 am
Hi Sul,

With regards to your ECs - AdCom understands that applicants work long hours and therefore dont always have time to focus on ECs. That said, make sure you emphasize ECs during college. Also, is there anything in your current business where you gave back to the community? That could be an interesting angle... not necessarily a separate EC activity, but a way of using your professional career to give back / help those in need. Try to be creative of how your sell your EC experience.

Regarding your friend at Wharton - this is a bit of a tricky issue. I have heard of students making an "informal" recommendation to Adcom for a prospective student. I am not sure how much weight it pulls... if anything, its a means of recruiting MBA candidates to apply for the program.

Either way, I would encourage you to ask your friend to follow-up with Wharton's Adcom and find out what they can do to help your candidacy - again, my guess is there isnt much...but doesnt hurt to ask.

Hope that helps -

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by sulabh » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:23 am
Thnx a lot Nikhil for your advice.
750(Q50,V40)