Are we really sure? XY>0 issue

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Are we really sure? XY>0 issue

by matteomasciotti » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:53 am
Hi guys,
I came across this easy DS problem on the Official Gmat Quant. Review, #80.
it states the following:

if xy>0 is (x-1)(y-1)=1?

1)x+y=xy
2)x=y

I'am not going to go through the first statement,but rather, I would like to draw your attention towards statement number 2.

if x=y , then the expression (x-1)(y-1)=1 can be written in this way:
xy-y-x+1=1
substituing x with y we get:
y^2-2y=0 (which is the same result showed at the end of the book)

Now, the solution at the back tells us that, since y^2-2y=0 has not gotten only one solution we can't tell whether (x-1)(y-1) is equal to 1. but ...are we really sure?
If we solve for y the equation y^2-2y=0 we can have two solutions, either y is 0 or y is 2.
Fine..but the initial statement tells us that XY>0 which means that y could not be 0, and therefore, in my humple opinion, y can only be 2, hence, if y=2 then (x-1)(y-1) is actually equal to 1.
But ..unfortunately this is not the case...why is my assumption flawed?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:33 am
Take a step back. You are using the question. To prove itself right. If x=y they can be any set of values, all of which. (Except 2) do not give you 1 for the statement in question.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:09 am
Sometimes substituting the number into the equation is the quick and easy way to verify your approach. It so happen in GMAT question that you come to a conclusion after some deduction and inferences, but if we go the beginning and take other approach now our conclusion will be false.

for ex :- if we put 3 for both x and y , we'll find that it is not equal to 2. here we got one more answer so we can not say for sure about this approach.

Hope it make it more clear.

by matteomasciotti » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:29 am
Yeah sorry...I made it too complicated :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:26 pm
On any DS question, the best approach is to simplify the question as much as possible before looking at the statements.

(x - 1)(y - 1) = 1 ?
xy - x - y + 1 = 1 ?
xy - x - y = 0 ?
xy = x + y ?

This is the most simplified version of our question - does xy equal x + y? If we simplify the question, we can see that statement (1) answers it exactly, so that's sufficient.

With statement (2), does knowing that x and y are equal tell us whether xy equals x + y? Well, does x^2 always equal 2x? Only if x (and therefore y) is equal to 2 or 0. You were doing the right math, but not asking yourself the right question! It's a really common mistake to treat the question as the thing you know, rather than the thing you're wondering.

This may seem overly simplistic, but I find that it's really helpful to keep a question mark attached to the question in your own notes. That way it's clear that it's something you're wondering, not something you know! Simplifying the question as much as possible will make it all the more clear.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

by matteomasciotti » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:29 am
Thanks a lot Ceilidh. I found your suggestion very helpful. It is a very common mistake I make, I take the question as an answer...
:)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:44 am
ceilidh.erickson wrote:On any DS question, the best approach is to simplify the question as much as possible before looking at the statements.
I wholeheartedly agree!

If anyone would like to learn more about rephrasing the target question, we have a free video on this topic: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... cy?id=1100

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com