Profile evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation

by mainak01 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 am
Time for a career shift. I have been in the merchant navy(engineering officer) since 2007 working with a reputed company. In I had taken a break in between and joined a Tata company for about 18 months as project engineer and subsequently got a promotion as well.In my 18 months with TATA Steel I have been in very important projects in corroboration with HEC, BHEL, BORL and have got recommendations to show. However, the larger picture was to crack an IIM in this period which didnt happen. Went back to shipping and have worked 2 years since then. I graduated in BE Marine Engineering from a BITS affiliated college and acquired a CGPA of 6.2/10. In shipping, I have assisted in taking delivery of new vessels and apart from various technological advances,was part of a pirate combat. I was involved in a lot of extra curricular activities in school and in college and need to find a way of highlighting them properly. GMAT score of 670 and exclusively looking at ISB (2014). Kindly evaluate my chances.
Thanks
Mainak

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Yashveer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:34 pm
Hi Mainak,

Well with the kind of exposure & diversity in your profile you must target ISB for 2014 intake. Having said that, the most crucial part in any b-school application are the essays & interviews. It is through these factors the b-school(s) ADCOM would judge a candidate. So, you need to position yourself well in your essays/interviews to convert your chances to admission. You can also try your chances in b-schools by clicking https://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

Also, depending on your comfort level you can also target few other Asian schools for 2013 intake like NUS, HKUST, Nanyang, CEIBS-Shanghai & INSEAD-Singapore. The avg. GMAT range fall between 600-720 for the above listed schools.

Feel free to post any other doubt or concern that you might have.

Good Luck!!
Yash

mainak01 wrote:Time for a career shift. I have been in the merchant navy(engineering officer) since 2007 working with a reputed company. In I had taken a break in between and joined a Tata company for about 18 months as project engineer and subsequently got a promotion as well.In my 18 months with TATA Steel I have been in very important projects in corroboration with HEC, BHEL, BORL and have got recommendations to show. However, the larger picture was to crack an IIM in this period which didnt happen. Went back to shipping and have worked 2 years since then. I graduated in BE Marine Engineering from a BITS affiliated college and acquired a CGPA of 6.2/10. In shipping, I have assisted in taking delivery of new vessels and apart from various technological advances,was part of a pirate combat. I was involved in a lot of extra curricular activities in school and in college and need to find a way of highlighting them properly. GMAT score of 670 and exclusively looking at ISB (2014). Kindly evaluate my chances.
Thanks
Mainak

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mainak01 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:11 am
Hi Yash
Thanks a lot for your insight. I was particularly looking at ISB. Since I do not have have much knowledge regarding MBA colleges, I was of the opinion that the other Asian Schools you mentioned were not quite at par with ISB. Besides, the fee structure coupled with living expenses would be much higher. Please correct me if I am wrong. I intend to work for another 8 month contract on board a ship and then file my applications for admissions in 2014.
There's another question in my mind. Considering that I wont be back home before Oct, is it advisable that I send my applications in R1 of ISB via someone else or R2 after I come back.
Thanks and regards
Mainak

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Yashveer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:16 am
Hi Mainak,

As I said, "depending on your comfort level..." As mentioned that would be sailing for another 8 months & back by Aug-2013 (hopefully), you can target ISB Cycle-1 (I would prefer Cycle-2). Equal weightage is given to both the Cycle-1 & 2. Having said that, you need to kick-off your preparations as soon as you are back, so that you have ample time for comprehensive preparation also to avoid last moment rush. Try your chances by clicking https://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool

Feel free to post any other concerns you might have.

Regards,
Yash

mainak01 wrote:Hi Yash
Thanks a lot for your insight. I was particularly looking at ISB. Since I do not have have much knowledge regarding MBA colleges, I was of the opinion that the other Asian Schools you mentioned were not quite at par with ISB. Besides, the fee structure coupled with living expenses would be much higher. Please correct me if I am wrong. I intend to work for another 8 month contract on board a ship and then file my applications for admissions in 2014.
There's another question in my mind. Considering that I wont be back home before Oct, is it advisable that I send my applications in R1 of ISB via someone else or R2 after I come back.
Thanks and regards
Mainak

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:34 pm
Hi Mainak,

In your last post you mentioned 'sending your application for R 1 via someone else'. You can submit your application online through ISB's website and therefore you can do it on your own.

Your GMAT score and profile is fine for a realistic chance at ISB.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis