Profile evaluation?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation?

by vespertine » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:46 pm
Hello,

I am looking for a little bit of insight into the b-school application process. My profile is as follows (and advance apologies for the verbosity):

- 25 year old queer female of Indian origin in Sydney; Australian citizen; fluent in Hindi and French.

- 2 years work experience at present, will be nearly 3 years by Sept 2009. I currently work as an advertising executive at a film exhibitor cinema chain (and have one year of prior work experience in client service at an ad agency that is part of a worldwide marketing communications network). Duties include planning media schedules for campaigns, giving creative direction for press and radio ads, some copywriting, managing budgets and accruals, participating in negotiating contracts with press/radio/TV ... fairly operational stuff.

- I have lived and been schooled in Egypt, Australia and India. Economics and French double major from a reputed Australian university. While studying, I reported for then edited the university newspaper, was elected as media officer for student government, was published regularly in creative writing journals, and tutored children from refugee communities. I currently serve as Youth Embassador on the board of the Ethnic Communities Council of New South Wales.

- No less than 6 fails over 3 years on undergraduate record have contributed to an awful GPA. I have everything from fails to high distinctions on my academic transcript (there is an explanation but I'd rather not focus on it).

- Have got my act together in recent years re: focus and discipline. I am terribly passionate about wanting to start a magazine for young women in India within the next five years, to deliver socially conscious, engaging, fun, independent, thought provoking perspectives.

- Projected GMAT: 720 (am taking it soon, these are prep test scores)

My question is: Will a good GMAT score outweigh my rather blemished undergraduate record and outweigh relative inexperience in the professional arena? Is it advisable to wait a few years and apply with more work experience? I want to provide myself with a top class entrepreneurial education as soon as possible, and don't necessarily want to wait till I am 28/29. However, am very conscious of the stellar calibre of other applicants. Any advice you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:05 pm
Hi V,
Thanks for your post. As you know, its hard to gauge your candidacy solely based on your profile, as there are many other factors AdCom will consider - including your essays, LORs, interview, post-MBA goals.

A high GMAT score can help offset a low GPA score. Moreover, with most schools - there is an optional essay in which you can address weaknesses in your application (low scores, gaps in employment, rationale for changing jobs). So you have the opportunity to explain why your undergrad GPA was low.

However, AdCom will consider GPA along with the other factors and determine whether they believe you have the ability to handle the academic rigor of the program.

Since you are a non-traditional candidate, its important to demonstrate to AdCom that you understand the value of the MBA and how it will help you achieve your short/long-term career goals. Make sure you do your research and know what classes/resources/clubs you will utilize while in the program.

Have you thought about what schools are interesting to you?

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by vespertine » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:32 pm
Hi NP,

Thanks for your swift reply and illuminating comments.

I suppose I would shy away from schools that are perceived as hardcore "finance" schools. INSEAD is undoubtedly my dream school - I have been to information sessions and talked to a quite a few alumni. I have also discussed the INSEAD environment with current students who are involved in clubs I would participate in.

I think Kellog would be another more feasible option considering its marketing focus. And I am also looking at Indian School of Business; I was interested in its approach - especially its encouragement of student interaction with the artist-in-residence.

Apart from these, I was going to apply to a couple of schools non-top-tier schools that don't feature in the top 25 (in the States at least). Do you know of any schools that are particularly reknowned for their engagement with the arts or for alumni that have made significant contributions in the media / entertainment spheres?

Thanks,

Vesp.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:02 am
If you are interested in Media & Entertainment, you should consider regional schools that have contacts within your respective field. For example, while USC is not considered a top 20 school, they have amazing alumni and contacts into M&E jobs in Los Angeles. UCLA and NYU are two other schools, although they are usually ranked in the top 10-15.

Aside from USC, if you want to get into M&E I would encourage you to go to the best ranked school you can and then network with alumni/classmates to get 'your foot in the door' at the firms you are interested in working in.

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep