switch from Medical career to MBA

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

switch from Medical career to MBA

by desidoc9 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:10 am
Hi

My name is Dr. Vicky Kothari and I am from India. 28 years of age.

I have finished my MBBS ( which is equivalent to med school in US ).

I have 1 yr internship experience.
2 years of post grad work exp.

I am looking to make a career switch by doing a MBA.
I may want to follow into the Hospital Administration / Healthcare Management side, but I am want to look at other opportunities too.

My extracurricular activities - Assistant Editor in College Magazine. Won quite a few interschool and intercollege Quiz competitions.

Have decent community / NGO work on my resume.

I am not sure how B-Schools will calculate my GPA, so can't provide any information on that regards.

Aiming to take GMAT in 6 weeks time and aiming for a 720+ score.

Can you give me some advice as to whether I can make the cut for Top 10 B-Schools in US ?

And also, since B-schools like to have a batch with comes from different professional backgrounds, is being a Doctor any kind of advantage ?

Thanks and Regards

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:13 am
Hi Vicki,

Thanks for you post. Its hard to evaluate your profile based on your GMAT or GPA score, as much of the decision is based on other factors - essays, LORs, interview, ect.

One of your biggest challenge is selling your post-MBA goals to the Admission Committee (AdCom). What are your long-term career goals? You have to be very specific. How will the MBA help you achieve these goals? Why do you need an MBA?

I would strongly recommend an MBA admissions book, which details the MBA admissions process and provides sample essays which might help you think about your essays. I am a huge fan of Montauk and Bouknight's MBA book)

I do not believe having a medical degree gives you any advantage at a top MBA program, since you do not have any direct work experience. Moreover, as an Indian applicant, you are already in a highly competitive applicant pool. Instead use your medical background to speak to your post-MBA goals. For example, you could claim that through your experience as a doctor, you realized a business opportunity in the medical field (and therefore need an MBA to seize this opportunity).
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by desidoc9 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:59 pm
Hi Nikhil

Thanks for the advice

My GPA will work out to be around 3.67 or 4.0 depending on what scale AdCom uses.

If you can then please elaborate more on "direct work experience". it would be really helpful.

Essays and LORs are important part of Application process and I am aware of that. But I don't see them as roadblocks. Instead they can help me standout.

I do agree that - Why I want to do MBA ( career switch ) and My post-MBA Goals .....those might end up being major deciding factors ..

Also, is there any data available as to how many doctors apply for MBA in top B-Schools every year ?

And since you mention that I am Indian applicant, I am already in a highly competitive applicant pool, .....is that to suggest that MBA schools have fixed no. of seats for various regions / countries ?

Thanks and Regards

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:16 pm
Hi V,

To your questions...

1. Regarding work experience, most schools want applicants to have several years of work experience before getting their MBA. The idea is for students to reflect on their work experience, as they learn about different business disciplines. I am not sure how this works for doctors.

2. Since you are considered a non-traditional candidate, AdCom wants to know that you TRULY understand how an MBA will help you achieve your goals. For example, you will not only learn in the classroom, but also from classmates, extra-curricular activities, student-run conferences, ect. You will need to demonstrate this knowledge in your essays.

3. I do not know where to find stats of doctors in MBA programs. I would suggest contacting the school's directly. I am sure they have this information - At the same time, I would try to talk to doctors you know that went thru the MBA program. They would be a great source of information. Better yet, contact the school's Healthcare club. Tell them you are a prospective student and wanted to set up an info meeting with a current MBA student that has a medical degree. I am sure they would be happy to speak with you about their experience (and maybe help you with the admissions process).

4. There are no set seats for international students, but the number is small per country. I dont want to estimate what this number is (again, ask the schools). That said, you can imagine the large number of candidates from India that apply to top MBA programs. Most have stellar profiles, but unfortunately not all will be accepted to the top programs.

Hope this helps,

NP

by desidoc9 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:58 pm
Hi Nikhil

Thanks for the insight.

Even I am unsure how Medical working exp. is counted in B-schools.
But luckily for me...Harvard has a Healthcare Initiative.
So i can "try for that".

Thanks once again.

Regards

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:58 am
V -
Most top MBA programs have healthcare-related programs.

I would strongly urge you to do more research into these programs, as they are VERY competitive and simply having a MD will not give you an edge over other candidates who have health care industry work experience or can demonstrate a stronger interest in the HC program than you.

Regards,

NP