please evaluate my situation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

please evaluate my situation

by biotech_mba » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:55 pm
Hi Stacy,

I plan to attend b-school starting fall 2007. Can you please evaluate my situation and let me know if my choices of school are within reach?

Thank you very much!

Background:
Born and raised in P.R. China. Arrived in Chapel Hill, NC at age 13 (knowing only ABCs, and no conversational English)

Academics:
Undergrad from UC-Berkeley in 2003, Computer Science Major, Business Minor, with cumulative GPA of 3.46

GMAT: 740

First Job:
ZS Associates. Sales & marketing strategy mgmt consulting firm, geared mostly towards pharma, biotech, and medical devices clients. Worked there for 2 years, promoted from Associate to Associate Consultant

Second Job:
Gilead Sciences. Biopharma firm leading in infectious diseases therapeutics. While working for Gilead Sciences as a consultant in ZS, hired into a new position as Senior Manager

Significant extracurricular:
During undergrad - co-founder of music/harm-reduction promotion group, senior vp of fraternity, member of boxing club, freshman vp of campus dorm
Post undergrad - producer of independent film company, secretary of fraternity alumni board
(*I do realize extracurricular after undergrad is very weak. I'm also actively involved in sports, travel, films, and reading)

Long Term Career Objective:
International healthcare development. Main drivers for this career choice are the inequalities I've witnessed in the healthcare industries (in US and abroad), and personal experiences in developing countries (South Africa, Mexico, China)

Choices of School:
Ideal - HBS
Best Fit - Wharton, Columbia

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:58 pm
You appear to be a very solid candudate and I believe you should have a chance at any of the schools you listed. If Columbia is a priority, I suggest you apply for their Early Decision round.

I agree that the weak link is your extra-curricular experience. The film company sounds interesting but I would have to know more about it to understand how it could play into your application. Given your career goals in healthcare and your reasoning behind your goals, it seems that you could link some volunteer work to this interest. Perhaps you could even tie your film production into raising awareness of the healthcare issue.

It looks like you have progressed nicely in your career. Highlighting leadership experiences and having recs that back this up will be key.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me