Please evaluate my profile, thanks

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

Please evaluate my profile, thanks

by netigen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:29 pm
Background
I am an Indian Citizen but have been a US resident since Feb, 2001. I moved to U.S. to work with a startup in Market intelligence domain.

Education
I did my B.E. in Computers with Honors, from a top 10 institute in India in 1998. I was college and university topper. I do not have my GPA ready yet, I hope to get it calculated soon.

GMAT
750 (98%) – 51Q (99%) / 41V (93%)

Work Experience
10+ years of total work experience with the following breakup
(1) 1.5 years with Satyam, India as senior software Engineer in telecom domain. (Satyam is among top 5 IT companies in India)
(2) 1 year with a startup in India working in client services and engineering
(3) 8+ years with a startup in USA in various roles – 3 year in core engineering and client solutions, 3 years in non technical role of client management and engagement management working with big name financial and Pharma clients, 2+ years in product management and field support management

Extracurricular
Almost negligible post college. In college I coached BCA/MCA students in computer subjects and was also the class representative, computer lab in charge for two years, debating society president etc.

Schools
I am targeting northern CA universities such as Stanford, UC Berkeley and NYC universities such as Columbia, NYU and technology oriented universities such as MIT.

My interest is to continue in IT Management with a mix of marketing and consulting.

My question is what I can do to strengthen my profile. Will involvement in NGO etc at this stage help with my 2009 application? Also, how can a consultant help with the application?

Thank you so much for your time and expertise!!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:15 am
Hi Netigen,

Thanks for your post. You have strong credentials. Here is my take on your profile.

As you know, you are in one of the most competitive applicant pools (Indians with IT background), so your key challenge is differentiate yourself amongst applicants with similar profiles. What is your story, your post-MBA goals and how are you different from the 1000s of other applicants with similar backgrounds.

Age is also a bit of a concern. Many schools are trending downward in age. While its not a deal breaker, there might be concern from AdCom at certain schools (particularly Stanford, HBS).

If you are applying in Fall 2009, I dont think non-profit experience (from now until application) will have a significant impact on your application.

Basically, an Admission Consultant will help you successfully craft and sell your story toward the schools you are applying to. I encourage you to check out the following link to learn more about Admissions Consultants and VP. www.veritasprep.com/mba

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep