First attempt got 630 (Q42 / V35) overall 78percentile

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Dear all,
Since i joined this forum, it has been a source of encouragement and motivation (reading the posts of all those who have aced the test. Also learnt a lot from the suggestions of the founders and participants. However i thought not too many people who dont ace the test (ie get >700) write, hence decided to put down my experience so that the readers can see that there are people like me who dont get 700 but still dont give up.

I gave the GMAT after about a month and a half of preparation (serious prep that is). Used all the books recommended by this forum (OG, Princeton, Kaplan, Manhattan, Veritas). Thought i was good for atleast 650-680 score. Got 680 in my last Princeton CAT test.

Test day: AWA's went really well (still awaiting my scores). But i knew this was the easy part. The tough part (atleast for me)was the Quant part. And when i saw the first question, it looked quite innocuous,,,,but was i in for a surprise...tried and tried and tried (spent 10mins on my first question) and still could not solve it. :shock: From thereon i knew i was fighting an uphill battle. :cry: Due to the lost time and frayed nerves i just was in a blazing hurry to answer the rest of the questions in the alloted time. Since i had read the posts and knew that the penalty for not answering was higher than getting wrong answers. Last 7-8 questions was just blind guessing due extreme shortage of time.

Took the ten minute break. I am a pretty tough person mentally and know in life not everything can and will go as planned. Hence did some motiviational self talking to self and went in for the verbal intending to score max. Did pretty well in the first half i think, but my nemesis time shortage got me again in the latter part and was guessing on the last 5 questions.

Answered the background questions and then pressed on the "report score" button. Was expecting a score below 500 (with the way my quant went) so was not too disappointed or joyed (since like i said my target was a score nearer to 680) when i saw a score of 630.

Learnings: Did only self study and think i am lacking the finer points needed to crack the GMAT. Will take some professional coaching (have shortlisted Princeton one on one class) this time and am going to aim for above 700. (if after such an awful experience in Quant if i still could manage a 630 i think if i do both the quant and verbal well i think i can score around that region). My word of advise (for whatever it is worth....) to all people who dont get the desired score: Dont give up, this is a test as much of your intelligence as it is of your mental fortitude.

Need suggestions: Would really appreciate any and all advice anyone can give me. I used to spend about 1/2 hour everyday reading through the posts of people who had beaten the gmat to psyche myself up. Am planning to retake the test in 45 days time. I am 35 years old, happily married (though no kids) have 10 years exp in a German MNC. Have shown good progression. Started of as a trainee and am now a manager. Speak and write German. Have worked for short periods in Germany & Singapore. Have also done a two week internship in Los Angeles. I hope to have good recommendation letters from my bosses. With my age do you think i have any chance of getting into a top ten college in US if i get a score between 680-720????

Many thanks n best regards.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmat_enthus » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:17 am
hi,

All the best for your prep. Since your nemesis is shortage of time, make sure you take atleast 2 tests per week in the coming days.

Have you tried Sets? they are good source. Although they are not timed, but you can time yourself.

Thanks
My 760 | GMAT Preparation Suggestion

destination 760! completed!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:14 am
Hi u087183:

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I don't think your age will prevent you from getting admitted to a top business school.
'
After you take your GMAT again, I would ask Stacy for advice about how to approach your applications.

Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by u087183 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:45 pm
Dear all,

Many thanks for your advice. I will definitely take your advice to take more CAT tests before the exam.

Also Eric, yes i will most certainly use your great forum to get invaluable advice from Stacy.

Have a nice day - to all of you great people.