Got in, now what?

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Got in, now what?

by alfredawe » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:54 pm
Hi Guys,

I've just started my MBA here at the National University of Singapore. Got a scholarship as well and everything has been great. But I internship application season is coming and I need your advice.

I decided to get an MBA because I want to shift careers to banking and finance on the buy side. I'm looking for a spot wherein I can do equities analysis and perhaps valuation. But given the tough competition and tougher job market I don't know if I can get this kind of internship.

I've been working as a cost accountant for the largest FMCG group in the world for 4 years. However, I really wanted to pursue finance. But I'm not too confident about my qualifications for the role that I want.

So here are some things I want to get advice on:

> How do I strengthen my resume or position myself so that I have better chance of getting through an interview?
> If ever I don't get the internship I like what other possible roles can I get that might give me a chance to pursue such an internship in the future?

Would really love to hear your advice.

Regards,
Alfred

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:730

by machichi » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:53 am
Doesn't your school have a Career Management office? They will be the best equipped to help you!
Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
https://www.mbabreakaway.com/
Recent post: July 12, "Summer"

by coolcalmphil » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:32 pm
Just chill until school starts. They'll give you all the advice that you may need.
MBAGMATSCORE.COM

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mjacobson1986 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:28 am
I think your question is actually pretty common, given that students of top MBA programs are usually pretty competitive, driven people. I would advise you (and anyone else who reads this later) to just take it easy until you begin your program. If you come in really well rested to your MBA program, ready to learn and experience the wealth of opportunities, you will have a much better experience. That will be much more valuable than simply adding items or skills to your resume. -MJ

by nehaali » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:15 pm
Hi all - I'm a current Wharton MBA student, and would be happy to share my experience/answer any questions you all have regarding admissions, student life, what classes to take, etc. I know how overwhelming it can be to navigate through it all, so feel free to ask me anything that's on your mind!
Our excellent online ccna pass4sure training programs will lead you to success in the CISCO exam. We also offer latest Harvard University and examsheets.com with 100% success guarantee. Our wikipedia is rare in IT world.

Followed by:1 members

by stevenfuqua » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:46 pm
After school starts, academics and recruiting will take up a lot of time. I'd highly recommend to start networking with folks in the industry you want to get into before school starts (which appears to be finance/banking). Find out where people hang out, whether its conferences or other social events and join in. It's great practice and you'll get lots of finance-specific career advice.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:21 pm
Don't forget to spend some time reaching out to alumni from your school. They can be a wealth of information and hopefully willing to help you out given your shared affiliation. Also, working with alumni can lead to off campus opportunities that will never surface in the career office. Good luck with your career search.