Intermingled or seperated questions

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Intermingled or seperated questions

by mehrabounr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:03 am
Hello,
I've got another question about GMAT.

In "MBA.com", it is mentioned that PS and DS questions (quantitative section) are intermingled. Does the same thing apply to verbal section or verbal questions of a specific type appear successively?

Is there somewhere that can i find this exact statement? In Official guide or on the website? Could you please guide me to the source?

I'm writing a "wiki" in my native language about GMAT and there was a disagreement on this subject. So I need to make sure before submitting it.

Thank you for helping me out

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by mehrabounr » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:29 am
A few more questions:

1- "GMATprep question bank", how big is it? cCan you compare it with actual GMAT question bank.
For example if on test day, the questions are drawn from a 5000-question bank, in GMATPrep the question bank is just 200 or something like that.

2- Is there a pattern for questions?
I know about the "intermingled" part of questions but do they appear on a pattern?

I'm asking this because some students(which i believe have to much time on their hands) have taken GMATprep for a few times. They've started comparing their quizzes with each other and apparently! have found a pattern in the way questions are asked.

This is the pattern for verbal section:
*The first number is the question number, the alphabetics are for sentence correction(SC), Critical erasoning(CR) and reading comprehension(RC)

1 SC
2 SC
3 CR
4 SC
5 CR
6 RC
7 RC
8 RC
9 CR
10 SC
11 SC
12 CR
13 SC
14 SC
15 RC
16 RC
17 RC
18 CR
19 CR
20 SC
21 SC
22 SC
23 RC
24 RC
25 RC
26 RC
27 CR
28 CR
29 SC
30 CR
31 SC
32 SC
33 RC
34 RC
35 RC
36 SC
37 SC
38 CR
39 CR
40 CR
41 SC

Does such a pattern exist in actual GMAT? Or this pattern is just designed for GMATprep so that GMAC can deliver a small sized practice source that is close to actual test?

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:06 pm
Hello, Mehrabounr. I certainly understand your interest in learning more about our test question algorithm. The details you are requesting are not publicly available, nor will knowing them help students prepare for the GMAT exam. The GMAT computer adaptive test is designed to assess reasoning abilities. There aren't any shortcuts to improving your score without improving your reasoning skills, so the best way to score well on the exam is to study the material being tested, not the test algorithms! Good luck on your wiki, and if you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out.
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!