Doubt with regards to RAW scores

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Good Day Miss Rebecca,

I was going through this forum and saw a lot of 690s with a split of Q48 and V35. I have the same split but a score of 670. Is it possible to have different scores with the same split?

Regards.

by everything's eventual » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:06 pm
Hello Again.

I just checked one of you previous replies and I can see that it is indeed possible to get different total scores with the same split. Just wanted to clarify - Doesn't this put the candidate with a lower total score at a distinct disadvantage? I understand that getting admitted to a college/Univ depends on a lot of factors but if it comes to a situation where the GMAT is a deciding factor then I might lose out.

Would request you to help me understand this issue.

Thank you very much.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:21 am
Thank you for your question. As per my previous reply, it is possible for a student to have a different total score, even with the same Quant and Verbal score. A 10 point difference in score is not likely to put a student at a "distinct" disadvantage. Please note that schools will see your full score report, including your individual quant and verbal scores. Further, scores within 10 points of each other are considered to be statistically similar; a 10 point difference in score in the situation you describe would be extremely unlikely to be a deciding factor in the admissions process. I hope that helps!
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

by everything's eventual » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:17 pm
Hello Miss Rebecca,

Thank you for your reply. In my case it seems that the difference is 20 points. With colleges preferring to admit candidates with a higher score, I fear that these 20 points might go against me. In any case, would it be possible to advise why there is a difference in the total score with the same split? If it is not something that I need to know then you can skip this question :).

I hope that other factors make up for this 10/20 point difference.

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:06 am
There are many factors that calculate into your total score, so it would be impossible to say exactly what causes the 10 or 20 point split in your specific case. Regardless, university admissions professionals are quite accustomed to the GMAT score scale, and it would be unlikely to have an affect on the admissions process. Remember, admissions professionals look at your full application. Good luck!
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!