Do we get parallel reasoning questions on GMAT ?

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:640
Hi All,
Do we get parallel reasoning questions on GMAT? In LSAT it is very common.

Jeff says you may not see a parallel reasoning Q on GMAT even if you take it for 5 times-

https://www.gmathacks.com/study-tips/lsat-vs-gmat.html

Below, I find no info present in Manhattan Guides on parallel reasoning:

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/par ... 10537.html
Regards,
Sach

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:47 pm
Thank you for the question, Sach! I checked with our research team and they are getting an answer for you.

Rebecca
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

by sachindia » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:34 pm
Thanks a lot Rebecca! Waiting for an answer from the research team :)
Regards,
Sach

Official Company Rep

by OfficialGMAT » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:27 am
Hello, Sach. Our research team took a look at your question. First, we want to clarify for you that that the LSAT exam and the GMAT exam are very different exams, so it is difficult to compare the questions. GMAT exam does not have parallel reasoning questions that directly compare to those in the LSAT exam and the GMAT exam does not directly measure logical reasoning skills in the same manner as the LSAT exam. The best way to prepare for the GMAT exam is to study using GMAT prep materials.

For a better understanding of the types of questions you should expect in the GMAT exam and what each of those questions types are designed to measure, please visit: https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/test-struct ... stOverview.

I hope that clears up your confusion.
Leah

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

by sachindia » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:18 am
Thanks Rebecca!
So, from what I understand from the reply above and the link in the reply, we do get 'parallel reasoning Questions' under Critical Reasoning Section in GMAT but they may not be similar to those you have on LSAT.

Please let me know if my understanding is right.
Regards,
Sach

Official Company Rep

by OfficialGMAT » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:53 am
Hello, Sach. The GMAT exam is created by the Graduate Management Admission Council. The LSAT exam is created by the Law School Admission Council. The two organizations are not affiliated in any way, so you should not expect to see similar questions from one test to the other.

You are correct that some critical reasoning question types may ask you to identify parallels between structurally similar arguments, but you will need to prepare equally for all types of critical reasoning question types in the GMAT exam. As always, the best way to prepare for the GMAT exam is with GMAT exam prep products. I hope that helps!
Leah