Inhospitable test conditions at test center

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Inhospitable test conditions at test center

by rahulvsd » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:56 pm
Hi,

I took up my GMAT exam on 30/5/2012 at the Pearson Center in Chennai, India. Here is my experience of the test.

Test Center conditions:

When I entered the test center, there was no power (the computers administering the test were running on UPS). The center did not have a back up power source for the Air conditioners and the lights in the test room. Before my test, I did ask the center administrators if power would resume soon and they did assure me that the engineers are working on it and power would be back soon. I signed the required document and agreed to take up the test solely based on the assurance given by the test center administrators.

Assurance provided by the administrator was not fulfilled:

However the power did not resume until the end of my test and the conditions in the testing room only worsened with time. The closed room filled with many test takers did not have any fans or alternative source to help test takers cope up with the heat (44 degree Celsius temperature) and the lights went off after one hour after my test began. As a result of the heat, I was profusely sweating. My vision and focus was hampered due to the continuous sweat on my glasses. I used at least 20 tissues to wipe it away and also lost my focus on the test.

Impact of inhospitable test conditions:

The test conditions were inhospitable for an exam as important as the GMAT and this has certainly impacted my performance badly on the test day. My test score increased by 50 points during my second attempt (Which were in good test conditions) and I was confident of replicating a similar increase in my third attempt. As mentioned, the test conditions at the center were detrimental to perform at the test to the best of my ability and I received a score that was not representative of my ability and preparation.

As per the GMAT handbook, Page 8/21

The GMAT exam is fair
Regardless of the variety of questions, to be fair to everyone taking the test around the world, all test takers will:
„„1. Be evaluated on the same number of questions
„„2. Answer the same type of questions
„„3. Be subject to time limits
„„4. Be tested in similar conditions around the world

Could you tell me how does the GMAC ensure that conditions at the test centers do not vary from one location to another? The conditions at the Chennai Center were certainly not hospitable for an exam as important as the GMAT.

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:18 am
rahulvsd wrote:Hi,

I took up my GMAT exam on 30/5/2012 at the Pearson Center in Chennai, India. Here is my experience of the test.

Test Center conditions:

When I entered the test center, there was no power (the computers administering the test were running on UPS). The center did not have a back up power source for the Air conditioners and the lights in the test room. Before my test, I did ask the center administrators if power would resume soon and they did assure me that the engineers are working on it and power would be back soon. I signed the required document and agreed to take up the test solely based on the assurance given by the test center administrators.

Assurance provided by the administrator was not fulfilled:

However the power did not resume until the end of my test and the conditions in the testing room only worsened with time. The closed room filled with many test takers did not have any fans or alternative source to help test takers cope up with the heat (44 degree Celsius temperature) and the lights went off after one hour after my test began. As a result of the heat, I was profusely sweating. My vision and focus was hampered due to the continuous sweat on my glasses. I used at least 20 tissues to wipe it away and also lost my focus on the test.

Impact of inhospitable test conditions:

The test conditions were inhospitable for an exam as important as the GMAT and this has certainly impacted my performance badly on the test day. My test score increased by 50 points during my second attempt (Which were in good test conditions) and I was confident of replicating a similar increase in my third attempt. As mentioned, the test conditions at the center were detrimental to perform at the test to the best of my ability and I received a score that was not representative of my ability and preparation.

As per the GMAT handbook, Page 8/21

The GMAT exam is fair
Regardless of the variety of questions, to be fair to everyone taking the test around the world, all test takers will:
„„1. Be evaluated on the same number of questions
„„2. Answer the same type of questions
„„3. Be subject to time limits
„„4. Be tested in similar conditions around the world

Could you tell me how does the GMAC ensure that conditions at the test centers do not vary from one location to another? The conditions at the Chennai Center were certainly not hospitable for an exam as important as the GMAT.
Hello,

I'm sorry you had that experience at a test center while taking the GMAT. Please email [email protected] so we can look into this complaint.

Thanks,

Rebecca
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by rahulvsd » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:57 am
Hi Rebecca,

I have emailed the same to the mentioned email id.

Thanks.