How to keep your wife?

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

How to keep your wife?

by crabspices » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:45 am
I will be starting B-school in the fall, which is good, but my free time will then drop to zero, which is probably bad. I am married with a kid and I have a full time job, and spending quality time with the wife and kid generally fall into the "free time" category...

Does anyone have experience with this kind of situation? I guess I am curious as to how other B-schoolers generally keep juggling their responsibilities as they become more numerous and time consuming. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:690

by thunderdan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:06 pm
You should make time for your family, irrespective of full time MBA. It is not rocket science or you are heading to outer space. It is worth while to get buy in from wife with respect to less time you may have because of course work in some days of the week.

It is a sore excuse to say that you will have 0 free time, that is bogus.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:650

by voiceofsticks » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:41 am
Agreed. I don't start school until this Fall but it won't change anything there. My wife and I might not go out as much or something but nothing will change as far as how I take time to be there for her and make her feel loved. I made a commitment to her that far exceeds the commitment I will make to business school and it would be foolish to confuse those priorities.

Followed by:2 members

by amit28it » Thu May 03, 2012 10:54 pm
You have to manage the time,If you can't manage the time to gout just give them time at home,I think they need your time and you.

MBA Student
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:640

by hk » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:11 am
I was laughing my socks off reading the title of this post!! "How to keep your wife?"

Anyways, I recently completed my MBA and I am married. In my case it was a simple and easy decision. We made a decision to stay apart during the course of the MBA for the following reasons: 1. She was working and wanted to work rather than move to a new country and side idle. 2. we decided that since I'm loosing my pay, it would be wise for atleast one person to keep the job and earn a regular pay. 3. She wanted to spend time with her family!!

That being said i did meet her for a month twice a year and we almost spoke everyday. Its difficult but we managed. Note that it becomes more difficult if you have children! Alas the decision it yours to take. I'd suggest sit with your wife and take a joint decision!!

Best wishes..
Wanna know what I'm upto? Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/harikrish

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:01 am
Really like this thread--when I applied to business school, making sure that I could maintain a strong relationship with my girlfriend (now my wife) was a huge concern.

Business school is going to be demanding with your time and attention. You will have to learn to say 'no' to some opportunities at school in order to make time with your significant other. Easier said than done, right?
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by campbellronald7 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:29 am
As you are a MBA guy you should know how to manage your time. Now it's a challenge in front of you. Divide your time in such way that it will give importance to your wife, kids and your studies as well.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by DaniCho » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:40 pm
I was about to post my own topic when I ran into this one and I just had to stop and give you my take on this since you're asking. Your question isn't so uncommon, actually, juggling work and family life is a challenge many have today and throw in an Master's program and you've just reduced your time to almost none. But, like one of the other posters said this can be your opportunity to put in practice organization, management and forecasting skills. There is always a way...I mean we make time for sleep, right? Most importantly, don't let fear of the unknown stop you from getting the career you want, but, not at the "cost" of family life. Work around it rather and integrate family into your studies...it's possible if you think outside the box. Just a thought...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by subhash.sonu39 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:11 pm
Just separate your professional life from personal life, it will be good for your both life.