Hello from Duke Fuqua

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
MBA Student
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:740

Hello from Duke Fuqua

by becnil » Tue May 22, 2012 8:02 pm
Hello everybody,

I am Niladri, a Daytime MBA student at Duke University's Fuqua School of Business. I have just completed my first year of studies and looking forward to go through my summer internship and then transition into my second year. I have received great help from "beatthegmat" while applying to business schools, and to pay it forward, I will be glad to assist you with any question you may have regarding Fuqua - admissions, application, student life or anything else.

Cheers.
MBA 2013, Duke University, Fuqua School of Business

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed May 23, 2012 10:48 am
Thank you Niladri for that wonderful intro, we're excited to have you here to represent Fuqua!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by hifunda » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:30 am
Hi Niladri, I am interested in a non CPG Marketing career (B2B/Services Mktg/Consulting) and want to find out if Fuqua is a good fit for me. I know it's strong in Mktg and Placements, but Approx. what percentage of students go into a Mktg Concentration? Can you also speak about the class culture, projects, social life, etc. from an international applicant's perspective?

MBA Student
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:740

by becnil » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:43 pm
Hello,

As you may already know, Fuqua is a very strong general management program. It has successfully placed MBAs in the marketing world, both CPG and non-CPG. If you look into the most recent employment statistics, you would be able to see the percentage of students taking up similar careers as you intend to. However, as far as concentration goes, Fuqua is very flexible. We are allowed to take two concentrations and it is fine not to take any concentration at all. I do not know the number of folks taking marketing as a concentration, and I don't think it should matter too much in your decision to choose Fuqua.

Your second question is really broad, and it may not be possible to talk about all those areas within the scope of this post. In a nutshell, Fuqua offers a diverse and international community where collaboration is key. You will see this spirit come through in our classes, recruiting, and in all our extra curricular activities. Typically, international students like to embrace the healthy mix of cultures around the world, and share their unique culture with others. Teamwork is the mantra of Fuqua's educational system, so be prepared to be able to work in a diverse team - this will be a lesson that would be useful forever. In the class, interactive discussion is always prevalent, and there is a nice balance of case and lecture based approaches. Also, Fuqua is entirely student run, from admissions to clubs and social impact work; hence, you need to be comfortable leading initiatives as well as coordinating with your peers to enjoy the whole Fuqua experience. International projects are also extremely popular on campus, primarily through our GATE and GCP programs. You can read about them on our website. I went on a GCP trip to India, so if you have questions on GCP, please let me know.

Good luck !
Niladri.
hifunda wrote:Hi Niladri, I am interested in a non CPG Marketing career (B2B/Services Mktg/Consulting) and want to find out if Fuqua is a good fit for me. I know it's strong in Mktg and Placements, but Approx. what percentage of students go into a Mktg Concentration? Can you also speak about the class culture, projects, social life, etc. from an international applicant's perspective?
MBA 2013, Duke University, Fuqua School of Business

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:30 am
Hey folks, I'm going to lock this thread. Just to make things simpler, if you have any questions about Fuqua, be sure to ask in the 'Ask a Fuqua Student' thread located here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/ask-a-duke-f ... 76-60.html

Thanks!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

• Page 1 of 1