[13th OG new CR] Respiratory Ailments

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

[13th OG new CR] Respiratory Ailments

by jspride7 » Sat May 12, 2012 5:25 am
I'm not sure why D cannot be the answer... can anyone explain this?

Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

A recent government study links the high rates of respiratory ailments in Groverston to airborne pollutants released by the Woodco plywood manufacturing plant there. To address the problem the government imposed strict regulations on emissions which will go into effect in four years. Although Woodco plans to cut its emissions in half two years ahead of schedule, it is unlikely that the rate of respiratory ailments will decline before the regulations go into effect, since _______.

A.the number of facilities capable of treating respiratory ailments is not likely to increase
B.reducing emissions even further than planned would necessitate decreasing production at Woodco
C. it is difficult to make accurate, long-term predictions about emissions
D.not all respiratory ailments are caused by airborne pollutants
E.three new plywood manufacturing plants are about to go into production in Groverston

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by agarwalva » Sat May 12, 2012 5:47 am
A recent government study links the high rates of respiratory ailments in Groverston to airborne pollutants released by the Woodco plywood manufacturing plant there. To address the problem the government imposed strict regulations on emissions which will go into effect in four years. Although Woodco plans to cut its emissions in half two years ahead of schedule, it is unlikely that the rate of respiratory ailments will decline before the regulations go into effect, since _______.

A.the number of facilities capable of treating respiratory ailments is not likely to increase
B.reducing emissions even further than planned would necessitate decreasing production at Woodco
C. it is difficult to make accurate, long-term predictions about emissions
D.not all respiratory ailments are caused by airborne pollutants
E.three new plywood manufacturing plants are about to go into production in Groverston
1. A study links the high rates of respiratory ailments in Groverston to airborne pollutants released by the Woodco plywood manufacturing plant there.
2. To address the problem the government imposed strict regulations on emissions which will go into effect in four years.

3. Missing Evidence --> three new plywood manufacturing plants are about to go into production in Groverston

Hence , even if Woodco plans to cut its emissions in half two years ahead of schedule, it is unlikely that the rate of respiratory ailments will decline before the regulations go into effect

IMO e

what is the OA

by krishna239455 » Sat May 12, 2012 5:52 am
IMO: E

Though government has regulated the emission norms, three more inustries will always add up to emmission as compared to earlier (contributed only by Woodco). They still will satisfy the emission norms.

by jspride7 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:02 am
OA is E. thanks!

Followed by:6 members

by GMAT Kolaveri » Sat May 12, 2012 10:06 am
jspride7 wrote:I'm not sure why D cannot be the answer... can anyone explain this?

Which of the following most logically completes the passage?

Based on a recent study, the Govt has predicted that it might take 4 years. Any change in the current will throw the prediction off target. Option E is perfect!

Regards and Thanks,
Vinoth@GMAT Kolaveri
https://www.facebook.com/GmatKolaveri
https://gmatkolaveri.tumblr.com/

Click the thank you button if you like my reply :)

by jspride7 » Sun May 13, 2012 1:27 pm
Thanks for all the replies. I understand E is the right answer but why is D not the valid answer? is it because D tackles this 'fact'? - A recent government study links the high rates of respiratory ailments in Groverston to airborne pollutants released by the Woodco plywood manufacturing plant there.

GMAT Score:700

by Gaurav 2013-fall » Thu May 17, 2012 2:21 am
E is just perfect.

Followed by:3 members

by himu » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:08 pm
HI,

Can anyone pls throw light on why D is incorrect ??
I too understand E is the correct ans but D needs to be eliminated right?

Pls do the needful ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:07 am
himu wrote:HI,

Pls do the needful ?
The passage concludes that THE RATE OF RESPIRATORY AILMENTS in Groverston WILL NOT DECLINE before the regulations go into effect.

Answer choice D: Not all respiratory ailments are caused by airborne pollutants.
Who cares about a few exceptions, which may or may not be true IN GROVERSTON?
IN GROVERSTON, the high rates of respiratory ailments are linked to AIRBORNE POLLUTANTS.
This is a FACT that cannot be disputed.
Since the high rates of ailments in Groverston are linked to airborne pollutants, answer choice D does not strengthen the conclusion that a DECREASE in Woodco's airborne pollutants WILL NOT lead to a decline in respiratory ailments.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:34 am
I also go to D but admit that D makes me uneasy and that many times I meet the choice of type D.

if
not all ailment is caused by airborn pollutant
there are 2 cases
- if 90 percent ailment is not caused by airborn pollutant, D is correct because it shows that there is no decline of ailment
- if 10 percent of ailment is not caused by airborn pollutant, D is incorrect
so, D is correct sometimes and incorrect other times. D is wrong.

I call this wrongness "not alway correct"

is my thinking correct.

by Jay92 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:24 am
But by choosing E we assumme that the 3 new plants will not have already applied strict regulations on emmisions.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by soudeh » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:48 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
himu wrote:HI,

Pls do the needful ?
The passage concludes that THE RATE OF RESPIRATORY AILMENTS in Groverston WILL NOT DECLINE before the regulations go into effect.

Answer choice D: Not all respiratory ailments are caused by airborne pollutants.
Who cares about a few exceptions, which may or may not be true IN GROVERSTON?
IN GROVERSTON, the high rates of respiratory ailments are linked to AIRBORNE POLLUTANTS.
This is a FACT that cannot be disputed.
Since the high rates of ailments in Groverston are linked to airborne pollutants, answer choice D does not strengthen the conclusion that a DECREASE in Woodco's airborne pollutants WILL NOT lead to a decline in respiratory ailments.

thank you for your explanation
but I cannot understand why option D is wrong!
it brings another assumption wich can add to the first claim and weaken the conclusion( so the ailment will not decline because not all of them are caused by plants' pollution)
there are a lot of this type answer choice in GMAT,

Another reason is that if now the number of plants are 100, addition 3 plants is negligible! it doesn't effect on the increase or decrease the pollution...

I really confused!