Re taking the test

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Re taking the test

by gloubiboulga » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:18 pm
Hi everybody.

As I said in my earlier posts I took the GMAT in january and scored 580 which is far below my target (650-700).
Yesterday I did a test with powerprep and scored 740. I heard that powerprep is easier than the test itself (I think that the Quant is easier). Do you think that I have the potential to score 650-700?

Here are my practice tests results (chronologically):
GMAT prep (1st one) 700 Q48 V38
Princeton Review 640
Kaplan CAT 1 540
Kaplan CAT 2 560
Powerprep 1 670
GMAT Prep 2 660 Q 47 V34(i am not sure about verbal, don't remember)
TRUE GMAT 580!!! Q 44 V 26 (VERBAL!!!) AWA 5/6
Powerprep 2 740 Q 49 V 42

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:17 pm
It's difficult to tell without being able to look at the actual tests and analyze your per-question performance. It looks like your math was okay on the real thing, but the verbal drop is what really hurt you.

Try and remember everything you can about your real test - how was your pacing? Was there anything that threw you? What went well? What didn't go so well? Etc. Most people get nervous on the real test and their performance on their weaker area suffers as a result - but how it happens varies from person to person.

Your key is going to be figuring out what happened with the verbal on the real test so you can study in such a way that you make sure it doesn't happen again. Sorry I can't be more specific but, as I said, it's really difficult to analyze this just based on scores.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me