Admitted to ESADE full time MBA 2012-13

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Admitted to ESADE full time MBA 2012-13

by Abhijith_jk » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:18 am
Just finished off with all the formalities related to confirming my seat(1st installment of the fee & other related documents). Awaiting confirmation from the school. Starting this thread to touch base with other selected students. Also all you prospective applicants out there please feel free to contact me in case you have any application related queries.Over the next few months I would be more than happy to assist you in whatever way I can!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by baume7 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:06 am
Congratulations! I've been admitted to ESADE's Msc Marketing Management. I also paid the reservation fee, but haven't received confirmation yet.

by y_roy82 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:39 am
Congrats!!!
I have an interview with ESADE. I wanted to know did you opt for a scholarship from ESADE? How and when to apply? Is it that you have to apply for scholarship only after you are selected for the program?

by Abhijith_jk » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:20 pm
As far as I know ESADE has a direct scholarship for which u don't have to apply!...In case u get through the interview school will tell u if u have been given a direct scholarship( in one of the welcome mails from the finance team)!...as far as the other scholarships are concerned(whatever you are eligible for) you can apply for only one of them once u get through!...of course I have applied for the scholarship ,I think everybody would!:-)(I did not get a direct scholarship n I don't know the exact criteria for it,also I don't think the school would disclose it as well but I think it would be a combination of your GMAT score,your personality & your excellent work profile!)

All the best!...Hope to see at BCN this August!

by mrinal2100 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:53 am
Hi Abhijith,
can you shre your prior work experience. I am an Indian IT guy with more than 6 years of exp and i am interested in ESADE school program.I would request you to share your inputs

by Abhijith_jk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:56 am
Its a good one dude!...Depends on what you are looking for!...If you are looking at rankings,for e.g FT you would not be encouraged since they have slipped to 34th this year:-)(btw rankings depict inputs from alumni who passed out from the school 3 years ago!..So I see it climbing up once again at least by 2015 when they take my batch's inputs;-) )..Again in the FT ranking if you sort it according to Career Progression it ranks 5th in the world which is pretty impressive.

Anyway I have already joined so I'll be biased. So its better you contact few of the current & ex-students. Personally for me studying at BCN in an extremely diverse environment was the first attraction. Then it was all about seeing if other things fit(curriculum, career services, school reputation,ROI etc).

Again if it helps I'm IIM(Indian IT Male) too (with about 8 yrs of exp by the time the course starts)

by Abhijith_jk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:04 am
Another attraction was the collaborative atmosphere...I have heard that its a close n tight knit group compared to other schools!..Btw personally from what I have heard overall there isn't a huge difference in what a lot of these schools offer (course wise) but I rejected 2 other offers from top European schools) because I felt ESADE works for me!..Do your research & whatever works for you go for it!..Unless you are the types who can write a lot of applications stick to 2-3 schools...I initially thought I'll do five but three were enough to drain me out! :-) Having said that I can't wait to start this new journey!

by mrinal2100 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:06 pm
Hi Abhijith,
thanks a lot for replying.I wanted to get some input from the work point of view.Most of admission people whom i have contacted mention that "We also look for less technical experience and prefer to see that you have progressed more into a business management role". Some MBA colleges offer you the service of reviewing your profile ex-Manchester Business School,EDHEC ,CASS,IESE business school etc. When i posted my resume to them ,i got the following reply (in quotes as mentioned above) from them.In IT sector the majority of people with 6 to 8 years of experience are allowed to lead a team ,help the client in solving their problems,requirement gathering or providing estimation for the project.I have already played these roles in my career and i want an MBA degree to make a transition on the other side where i can get some Business Analyst or consultant kind of role.As a result i wanted to know that from "business management role" what do these admission people mean and what changes do i need to make in my career to make that transformation.

by Abhijith_jk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:32 pm
Mmmm Hmmm...I get what you are saying! I think most of the schools should(& would) know what we have been doing(or not doing:-)). Personally I think what they basically look for is whether the candidate can ramp up (to the rigors of the MBA) & whether he/she has sufficient experiences to share & make the class much more interesting! Of course I think they also look at your score & whether you have a certain career plan (& if you can achieve that mainly because placement record is an important parameter in a lot of these b-school rankings).

What I mean is if you have a technical background you would obviously have worked more on technology. But what the school would look at is how you have grown while you have been doing your core job(so everything from knowledge transfer,estimation,participation in request for proposals to initiatives taken & process improvements undertaken would look good on your resume)

Also a definite career plan is important, to crack the interview you most definitely should have a plan to link pre-MBA to post-MBA right, even though I agree MBA might open up a lot more avenues (& u might have some of your own hidden agendas-money,managerial aspirations etc which u can't openly say you know :-)) Its very important to have a good plan & show it in your essays & interviews.

It also is important to show some good things that you have been doing in your free time, again it could be anything from playing a sport,learning a language to a social initiative(I hope u don't really over-do the social bit here. I have seen a lot of fake ones & it hurts coz I'm one of those who is genuinely involved)

And the last bit you need to genuinely like the school & place & if you do it will show up in your essays n interview. For me BCN has always been a dream place & when I did a bit of research on ESADE I really liked the school. Of course the cons are the exorbitant fee & the situation in Europe but my expectations from the ESADE MBA are that it will provide me with enough skill set & confidence to find a great job anywhere in the world! :-)

P.S: Writing essays is really helping me draft big mails! :-P

by mrinal2100 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:17 am
thanks dude for explaining in such a detail.i have some time now probably 1 year to prepare my resume and link my pre MBA job experience and post MBA aspiration.Can i have your gtalkID so that i can stay in touch with you for some further suggestions.Will you return back to IT side after MBA or some other path you will follow :)

by Abhijith_jk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:44 am
I would want to have a crack at Mgmt Consulting but I have to see if I'm really made for it! If not I will get back to IT in some capacity(Consulting Operations Sales). Also sports is something that I really like so I'll try n explore that part(definitely will be joining the sports mgmt club) Of course I will see if I can explore a few new ventures(e-commerce environment renewable energy etc).I'm going in with a blank canvas & I think ESADE will help paint a wonderful picture! :-)

But I'm also trying to be pragmatic with regards to the post MBA job (& the location). So unlike a few who would be disappointed if they don't end up in a particular company or location in Europe or US. I'm open to move into any profile as long as it is interesting ,has got good prospects & of course pays well!:-)

From whatever little I have heard MBA is all about what is the right fit for you & how you use the school(networking etc). Its your battle. So like a lot of Indian IT guys if you are getting lured only by the huge pay & post MBA prospects you need to think long n hard coz from whatever little I have heard its far from the truth! Its an investment that is worth pursuing if we are ready to slog it out all the way(right from the rigors of studying to finding the right job) especially in the current market.

by mrinal2100 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:54 am
great man.best of luck for your future.can you share your gtalk or FB id so that i can be in touch with you.

by Abhijith_jk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:16 pm
I sent you a personal message on this forum. Check your inbox. You should have the details! You can find me on facebook with the same email id!

by y_roy82 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:57 am
Hi Abhijit,

I am admitted to ESADE too. But need some info before I could confirm.
Please check your inbox I have sent you a message.

by baume7 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:23 pm
Congratulations on your admits! We have a facebook group right now to help connect admitted MBA and MSc students: https://www.facebook.com/groups/esade2012/