00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Cheever College offers several online courses via remote computer connection, in addition to traditional classroom-based courses. A study of student performance at Cheever found that, overall, the average student grade for online courses matched that for classroom-based courses. In this calculation of the average grade, course withdrawals were weighted as equivalent to a course failure, and the rate of withdrawal was much lower for students enrolled in classroom-based courses than for students enrolled in online courses.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true of Cheever College?

(A) Among students who did not withdraw, students enrolled in online courses got higher grades, on average, than students enrolled in classroom-based courses.
(B) The number of students enrolled per course at the start of the school term is much higher, on average, for the online courses than for the classroom-based courses.
(C) There are no students who take both an online and a classroom-based course in the same school term.
(D) Among Cheever College students with the best grades, a significant majority take online, rather than classroom-based, courses.
(E) Courses offered online tend to deal with subject matter that is less challenging than that of classroom-based courses.
[spoiler]
OA-A
someone pls explain A and D
I thought A is just opposite
i.e. if no. of students in online is less than classroom
then for average to be same average grades for online should be lower than classroom one.[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:44 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

If we consider numbers A is the clear winner.

10 students take online course and 10 again for classroom course.

Course withdrawal is low for classroom courses, so consider 2 students from Online course withdrew or considered as Failure.

Lets say all 10 students score 75 in Classroom course, avg = 75 * 10/10

Then to match the average with Class room course the students should score higher to match the same average as in to get the 750/10. Two withdrawals will result in 0 and the rest 8 should score more than 75 to match the average.

Students involved in online course score the best grades whereas it is stated the opposite in D.

Hope this helped.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by killer1387 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:40 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

sam2304 wrote:If we consider numbers A is the clear winner.

10 students take online course and 10 again for classroom course.

Course withdrawal is low for classroom courses, so consider 2 students from Online course withdrew or considered as Failure.

Lets say all 10 students score 75 in Classroom course, avg = 75 * 10/10

Then to match the average with Class room course the students should score higher to match the same average as in to get the 750/10. Two withdrawals will result in 0 and the rest 8 should score more than 75 to match the average.

Students involved in online course score the best grades whereas it is stated the opposite in D.

Hope this helped.
i proceeded as

A/X=B/Y
A/X is the average grade of online ones
and B/Y is the average grade of classroom guys

NOW if X decreases then A has to decrease to make the ratio equal which means opposite of option A.

WHERE AM I GOING WRONG??

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:30 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

killer1387 wrote: i proceeded as

A/X=B/Y
A/X is the average grade of online ones
and B/Y is the average grade of classroom guys

NOW if X decreases then A has to decrease to make the ratio equal which means opposite of option A.

WHERE AM I GOING WRONG??
-> Here

It is said withdrawals are considered as Failures so we don't decrease X i.e the # ppl taking online courses remains same only their marks are reduced to zero or considered as failure. So to match B/Y ratio A increases for the rest of the people.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Legendary Member

by killer1387 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:40 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

that's something real clever...:)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Anaira Mitch » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:40 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hello Experts,

Please help explaining this problem.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:57 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

killer1387 wrote:Cheever College offers several online courses via remote computer connection, in addition to traditional classroom-based courses. A study of student performance at Cheever found that, overall, the average student grade for online courses matched that for classroom-based courses. In this calculation of the average grade, course withdrawals were weighted as equivalent to a course failure, and the rate of withdrawal was much lower for students enrolled in classroom-based courses than for students enrolled in online courses.

If the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true of Cheever College?

(A) Among students who did not withdraw, students enrolled in online courses got higher grades, on average, than students enrolled in classroom-based courses.
(B) The number of students enrolled per course at the start of the school term is much higher, on average, for the online courses than for the classroom-based courses.
(C) There are no students who take both an online and a classroom-based course in the same school term.
(D) Among Cheever College students with the best grades, a significant majority take online, rather than classroom-based, courses.
(E) Courses offered online tend to deal with subject matter that is less challenging than that of classroom-based courses.
Fact 1: Online courses have a HIGHER FAILURE RATE due to withdrawals.
Fact 2: Online courses yield the SAME AVERAGE GRADE as classroom courses.

Question:
How can both facts be true?
Answer:
Compared to students who remain enrolled in classroom courses, students who remain enrolled in online courses must get, on average, BETTER GRADES -- grades that OFFSET the higher withdrawal rate in online courses, with the result that the average grade for online courses is the same as that for classroom courses.

Thus, A must be true:
Among students who did not withdraw, students enrolled in online courses got higher grades, on average, than students enrolled in classroom-based courses.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3