TOEFL Waiver

You just Beat The TOEFL/IELTS/Cambridge/PTE!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

TOEFL Waiver

by sherulporwal » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:40 am
Hi

To give you some context, I have done all my schooling in a English medium school. During my 3 year under graduation from University of Delhi,India, the sole language of instruction was English. I have also worked with UBS for almost a year in the investment banking division in India. Even at UBS official language of communication was English. Also the next available date for TOEFL is in February whereas the deadline for most of the college is in January.

The college I am looking at are - Marshall, Kenan-Flagler, Cornell and McCombs.

Do you think I would be offered a TOEFL waiver? I have already posted mails to the Adcom but have not received reply as of now.

Also Kellogg, Ross, Fuqua and Darden say that students with undergrad with English as sole language of instruction are waived from TOEFL. DO i still need to specifically confirm with the Adcom before applying?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Gokhra » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:16 am
Hi sherulporwal,

I personally think you will be taking a big risk by not submitting an English proficiency test result. Most schools make it clear that international students are only exempt from this if the language of instruction in their university was English AND their university was located in a country where the official language is also English.

Cornell Johnson specifically mentions this and Marshall actually goes farther and lists the countries as U.S., Canada, U.K., Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand.

Even if a school is willing to grant the exemption, I think if another international candidate has a similar profile but has also demonstrated English proficiency, that candidate will be preferred.

If you can not get a TOEFL date, I would highly recommend taking the IELTS of the Pearson Test of English, both of which are now widely accepted by all business schools. It is also easier to get dates for these tests. And even if you get dates that are a few days after the submission deadline, I think schools will be willing to accept the test results if you call them and explain the situation.

Hope this helps!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by heenakapoor » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:52 am
If you have achieved a score of at least 670 on the Critical Reading section of the SAT exam, there is no need to request a TOEFL waiver. To request a TOEFL waiver based on other acceptable criteria, please write to [email protected].
The subject of your email should be TOEFL Waiver. Please provide the following information in your email:
* First and last names as they appear on your application.
* Email address used on your application
* Date of Birth
* Reason for requesting a TOEFL waiver

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by btg123 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:35 am
sherulporwal wrote:Hi

To give you some context, I have done all my schooling in a English medium school. During my 3 year under graduation from University of Delhi,India, the sole language of instruction was English. I have also worked with UBS for almost a year in the investment banking division in India. Even at UBS official language of communication was English. Also the next available date for TOEFL is in February whereas the deadline for most of the college is in January.

The college I am looking at are - Marshall, Kenan-Flagler, Cornell and McCombs.

Do you think I would be offered a TOEFL waiver? I have already posted mails to the Adcom but have not received reply as of now.

Also Kellogg, Ross, Fuqua and Darden say that students with undergrad with English as sole language of instruction are waived from TOEFL. DO i still need to specifically confirm with the Adcom before applying?

Hi All,

I had the same query regarding TOEFL. I am an Indian candidate and am done with my GMAT exam. I have had English as my first language throughout my schooling as well as during graduation. I did write an email to the AdComs of the colleges that I am interested in applying to and fortunately all of them have waived the TOEFL requirement for me.

Am I still required to give the TOEFL?

Best Regards