To MBA or not MBA?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

To MBA or not MBA?

by lotus lion » Thu May 22, 2008 12:44 am
Hi,

I am considering pursuing an MBA, but am not sure if i have the correct experience or know enough about it to make the right decision.

I have searched on the site, but could not find anything. Also, if this has been asked before, please do feel free to point me in the right direction.

I am not exactly sure of the contents of an MBA, What it can ultimately do for me, and if i should be specializing.

My expertise lies in IT. Started off in Desktop but it is more Server and Network orientated now.

It has always been in the Investment Banks and i have over 4 years experience now.

I have a degree (2:1) in the subject from a respectable London University also.

If anyone could let me know if they feel I would be suitable, any upcoming fairs, or where else i could be looking, it would be appreciated.

My best regards,

Lotus

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu May 22, 2008 5:26 am
Hi Lotus,
Can you tell us more about your background - particularly your interest in pursing an MBA. Are you looking to switch from IT to a different field (finance, marketing, strategy)? Do you want a different role within IT (consulting, project management). Think about where you would like to be in 5-10 years and how an MBA might help you achieve this career path.

Since you work in an investment bank - a great place to start learning about the MBA (and application process) is with co-workers who went to business school. They should be able to shed some perspective (albeit from a finance/banking angle) on the MBA program. Also check out school websites, MBA fairs, students/alumnis and MBA Admissions Consultants.

In addition to these resources - I would strongly recommend an MBA admissions book. They are fantastic resources for general information of the MBA admissions process - including description of schools/programs, advice on essay writing, sample interview questions.

I feel these books give you an nice (and quick) overview of the process. The books will also help you think through your own background, qualifications and potential schools of interests.

Here are some of my favorites:

"How to Get Into the Top MBA Programs"
Richard Montauk

"Your MBA Game Plan"
Omari Bouknight
(full disclosure - I work with Veritas Prep, a company affiliated with this book)

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by lotus lion » Thu May 22, 2008 2:17 pm
There are a few reasons that i am considering pursuing an MBA.

My current role is good, but i want something more from a career.

Yes, the opportunity is there to get into management, but that could be a while.

Money is of course a factor, but not the main one.

It is because i believe that i would be in control of my life. It is not really a security i am seeking, but a skill set to do, almost, whatever i want.

Enter the Banking arena at a level where i feel i could be considered a major player, set up my own firm, or do things for causes that really matter me with a strong direction hold a certain sway over me.

The fact that there is the opportunity to get involved at a more senior level, something more 'respectable'

Don’t get me wrong IT is good, but not really highly regarded, in my experience.
It has shaped me tremendously though. Think really analytically, logically, work incredibly well under pressure, exposed to the latest technologies understanding what it means to be working in a team and so forth and for that i am truly greatful.

I would not mind staying in IT, But perhaps at a Consultant level or Management (Not Mid-Management Mind).

But Finance and numbers have always attracted me too, so Management in there is an area is also a consideration.

At this moment, i have not thought about where i would be in 5-10 years with an MBA so that would be food for thought.

Those books sound good so i will be purchasing them as well as harassing a few people at work :wink:

by lotus lion » Thu May 22, 2008 2:22 pm
Duplicate Post
Last edited by lotus lion on Thu May 22, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu May 22, 2008 7:52 pm
Hi Lotus,
Thanks for your reply. Seems like you have a sense of where you want to be in several years. Just take some time to develop clear short and long term career goals - and how the MBA will help you achieve these goals. This is important, as you need to convince AdCom you have strong sense of your post-MBA career.

Dont feel bad about 'harassing' people at work. I find that MBA students/alumni love to talk about their experience in business school!

Good luck,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by lotus lion » Thu May 22, 2008 11:35 pm
Thanks VP_MBA_Guru, Much appreciated.

Lotus