Advice needed! GMAT Progress Check and 40-Day Plan

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
I am planning to take the GMAT in approximately 40 days, and want to use everyone's expertise to assess my progress so far, and to determine what direction to go from here. Quick background: native English speaker (born in US), Accounting and Business Admin. Major from top 10 liberal arts school, currently working in consulting (former Big 4 Consultant, now at a startup). Target score is anywhere above 700, but hopefully in the 720-740 range. I gave a lot of background, but please feel free to skip to the questions section if you don't feel like reading!

What I've Done so Far (Through approx. 7 weeks of studying):
1. MGMAT Live Online Course
Have done 7 of the 9 classes, and have done a decent job of staying on track with the syllabus. I have kept up each week with the suggested Quant MGMAT strategy guide, and have completed all of the Quant books now. I slacked off a bit in the verbal since I figured I was stronger here, but have recently started to dive in, especially with SC.

2. Two CAT's so far (MGMAT)
670 (44Q 37V) - This is the one I took before the class started, and was based on knowledge that I had acquired through limited studying in the past. I felt overwhelmed by the math, and did significantly better than I thought I would. (upon review I got a number of guesses right). Verbal was decent, even though I expected to do better based on history.

660 (44Q 36V) - I took this last week, and felt significantly more comfortable. I was able to apply a bunch of Quant concepts that I'd learned, and also felt that there were a number of problems that I knew the concept for but couldn't quite remember. When I reviewed the next day, I was able to get a number of the problems I got wrong right before looking at the answer. With Verbal, I was a little disappointed, because although my studying has been somewhat limited, I have put some time into it, and didn't improve at all.

3. Kaplan Quiz Bank
I bought the Kaplan quiz bank to do at work, which has been really valuable so far. It makes it very convenient to do in a team room on client site, as opposed to pulling out the OG. I do 20-40 problems per day (half Q/V). they have really helped me apply math concepts.

Plan for the next 40 days:
1. CATs
I plan to take one per week, which would put me at six total taken. I have 4 MGMAT left, and 2+ GMAT Prep's to do also.

2. OG
So far, I have really neglected the OG, which is obviously the most useful tool there is. I have done the suggested problems relating to my course syllabus, but have not made much of a dent at all in the book. This will take up a lot of time from here on out.
3. Strategy Guides
Finish (and possibly reread) SC guide. On both my CATs, SC was my weak link in Verbal, so it will help to really dive in strategy wise. Will also review other guides that I've completed as problem areas come up.
Kaplan Quiz Bank
Will continue to do this at work daily, shooting for 40 problems per day, but a minimum, 20 total.

Questions
1. Is four more CATs (six total) enough? Too few, too many?
2. How do people typically tackle the OG? Do they do big blocks of problems, small blocks of problems, sort by topic, etc.? Do people with a decent math score usually start at the beginning of the book or pick up somewhere in the middle of the numbered problems?
3. What is the best way to tackle RC strategy for a native English speaker that has historically been very strong in verbal (800 on SAT)? Is the MGMAT strategy guide a useful tool, or would it help me to simply do more passages?
4. As for SC, do people memorize the entire guide? Or do you memorize a systematic method of a few things to look for, and apply the method to every problem? And the idioms...how many to memorize?
5. Any other suggestions for someone at my stage? Would appreciate any random insight or advice that people can think of.

Sorry for the length, and thanks for any help!

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:52 am
First thing that crossed my mind: if you have an Iphone, I believe you can practice OG problems at work by using their official app. I remember they launched that a while ago. Not sure if there's an Android version...

I think your plan of taking one practice test per week makes sense. Don't do more than one, it take a lot out of you and you'll be exhausted. In terms of working from the OG, many people use it in conjunction with the MGMAT books (you know they give you a bunch of problem numbers at the end of chapters). I myself practiced in sets of 20 at a time, but that was mostly for verbal.

I was very strong in RC to begin with too (close to 100%), so all I did was do a bit of practice. But hey if you feel the need for more strategy, that can also work.

For SC, it may be worthwhile to make some flashcards. I've rarely heard of anyone memorizing the entire guide... Idioms are important, but not essential, so just focus on the most relevant ones.

Good luck!

by bpeyster » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:55 am
Thanks, Dana. Some really helpful stuff in there. Can't believe I had never heard of the OG app before, but it's going to be really helpful going forward.

So it sounds to me like you typically did the OG problems by topic. Did you later go back and do them just in random 20 question sets? I guess I'm curious because the test obviously mixes up types (both DS vs. PS and Exponents vs. Rates vs. etc.), so I'd want to be versed in dealing with that, but at the same time, taking practice tests will probably do that for me.

Thanks again for the help. Looking forward to any other opinions as well.

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:50 am
Here's what I found: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-offi ... 78212?mt=8 I think this is the right app for you! Although I'm pretty sure your boss would disagree...

The thing is, I can't really advise you on quant because I was strong in quant to begin with (in my first practice test, I scored a 50 and, as you probably know, a 51 is the maximum). I never really did much for quant except post a lot in these forums :) I believe it makes sense to practice per topic though, because that way you put the newly learned theory to work and it sticks to your mind better. I did 20 question sets for verbal though and it worked for me.

by bpeyster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:08 am
Thanks again, Dana. Starting to make soem solid verbal progress and also identifying key weak areas in math, which will definitely give some direction to my studying.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:21 pm
If you're doing weekly full practice tests, that is your "random" or unsorted practice. Targeted practice any amount of the rest of the time is fine.

Also, full tests will allow you to identify whatever relative weaknesses you have in RC question types. Being a strong reader will, of course, help you throughout the test.

by bpeyster » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:00 am
Thanks, Jim. That makes sense to me. I have really started honing in on the targeted practice, so hoepfully that starts to pay off soon.

I have also found that with any of the Verbal, I get about 95% right of the hardest problems when I practice outside of a test setting, but on the test, I'm definitely slipping up. I'm assuming this is from fatigue and not being able to focus as well after the essays and the math section. Any advice for how to target this problem when studying, outside of taking more tests?

Thanks to everyone again for the replies.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:03 am
More tests are definitely a help, but also paying attention to what sorts of things trip you up when you're fatigued that way -- perhaps they are no trouble with 100% concentration, but full tests are a different environment.

Also, it could just be coincidence. The 5% you often don't get right could have been the culprits on the full tests you took.

by bpeyster » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:18 am
Thanks to everyone for responses. Definitely helped!