short RC passage-1

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

short RC passage-1

by pemdas » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:45 pm
Of the various constituents that are found in the human body, water occurs in the largest quantity. As a food substance, it is an extremely important feature of a person's diet. Its chief purpose is to replenish the liquids of the body and to assist in the digestion of food. Although nature provides considerable amounts of water in most foods, large quantities must be taken in the diet as a beverage. In fact, it is the need of the body for water that has led to the development of numerous beverages. Besides being necessary in building up the body and keeping it in a healthy condition, water has a special function to perform in cooking, as is explained later. Although this food substance is extremely essential to life, it is seldom considered in the selection of food, because, as has just been mentioned, nearly all foods contain water.

The larger work from which this passage was taken is most likely concerned with

A. health and diet
B. cooking
C. science essentials
D. multiple uses of water
E. different types of food

OA later
Success doesn't come overnight!

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:19 pm
IMO D. But option D seems too generic and other options don't look good as well. What is the source ? ?
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Legendary Member
Followed by:21 members

by pemdas » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:31 pm
source: old ETS passage
OA and explanation: B /As the passage suggests, the point is to discuss how water has a special function in cooking. While health and diet seem important, as well as multiple uses of water, cooking is mentioned as the most significant topic, and the author states that it will be discussed later. /

I also selected D knowing it's vague, but couldn't touch even choice B, tricky :(
sam2304 wrote:IMO D. But option D seems too generic and other options don't look good as well. What is the source ? ?
Success doesn't come overnight!

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:00 pm
A, i kept it as 2nd option. Eliminated B/E on the first look :( Is this the complete passage ? ? This seems too short even for a short passage.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:47 pm
I see that many passages in GRE section of 3000RC Pack are easy to understand but contain hard questions, a situation like this one.

how do I do to improve the situation? pls, help