profile evaluation..

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

profile evaluation..

by puniaball » Thu May 15, 2008 2:27 pm
Hi, I took the GMAT two weeks ago, and after taking it easy since then, I figure it's time to start gearing up for the application process. I have a few questions I'd like to run by you guys:

Background:
Male, Chinese, 25 (26 by target Fall 09 start date)

GMAT/ GPA:
710/ 3.33 from USC
GPA is lower than I'd like it to be, but the bright side, all 300/400 level and core business classes are solid A's and B+'s.

Work Experience:
Been working for a little over four years--3 in banking and 1 in asset management. Will have five years+ of work experience by Fall 2009. CFA charterholder (by the way, does the charter even hold any weight in the MBA admission process?)

References:
One solid letter from former supervisor at bank and second letter, having to come from current employer, will not be as great (at least not yet, since I've only been here a year). It'll probably look odd if both my letters come from last employer and none from current, right?

Extra:
Unfortunately, this is my weakest spot and I think the area where paying for the services of a VP or SBC might be worth the money--differentiating myself. I'm reading Montauk's book right now, but some of the stuff I guess doesn't really apply to my situation (for example, there's a sample essay from an army sergeant?? I'm just one of them "folks"). Did lots of clubs in high school and college, but nothing since then, ie, non profit, volunteer work, nothing like that. Also did not start my own company. Go me!

Target Schools: (in order of preference)
-Wharton
-Haas
-NYU/UCLA
-Good ol' Marshall

With this condensed information, do you think these schools are within reach? The Wharton and Haas that is... and what feedback can you provide?

Lastly, on a side note, what would you say is the added benefit of a full time program vs. part time, aside from the networking and recruiting? My point is I can probably get into UCLA part time, but might be on the cusp of getting into the full time program and may need additional resources to better my chances (your services). At the end of the day, isn't an Anderson MBA still an Anderson MBA, whether full time or part time? It's not like that'll be explicitly stated on resumes. It seems like the only reason to go to a part time program is financially related..

Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Fri May 16, 2008 2:13 pm
Hey Puni,
Thanks for your post. Congrats on finishing the GMAT!

You have great credentials and sounds like you are a good fit for the schools mentioned below. As you know, its hard to gauge your candidacy based on profile/stats, as much of the decision is based on your essays, LORs, interview. That said - here is my feedback.

First of all, you are spot on regarding your biggest challenge - how to best differentiate yourself. Since you are in a very competitive applicant pool (Bankers) you really need to focus on what makes you unique from the 1000s of bankers that apply to top programs.

Dont feel bad about not having ECs... yes, it is important, but its difficult when you are working long hours.

Without knowing too much about your background, I would urge you to start brainstorming ways to position your candidacy. BTW - What are your post-MBA career interests? That could also be a part of your story.

Regarding the schools - I think you are competitive for all of the programs. My only concern is Haas. Since they pride themselves on 'social responsibility' - they might look down upon candidates without EC/Volunteer experience. If you are interested in the program, you might want to do some more research and find out if this could be a potential deal breaker.

I don't have a strong opinion about FT vs PT, I feel its more of a personal decision based on where you are in your life/career/financial situation. Many of my PT contacts mention how they wish they had more time to participate in MBA-related activities. Otherwise, I feel the have the same access to resources and other benefits of a FT program. Moreover, UCLA's PT program is ranked at the top - so its definitely a good option.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by puniaball » Fri May 16, 2008 11:30 pm
This is very helpful.. thank you very much!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon May 19, 2008 7:49 pm
Happy to help. Good luck with the application process!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep