Tuck/Ross/McCombs/Kelley Through Consortium

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Tuck/Ross/McCombs/Kelley Through Consortium

by dmagnia » Fri May 16, 2008 1:34 pm
As the Consortium is open to everyone, I suggest people that are committed to its mission to apply through the Consortium.

www.cgsm.org
Last edited by dmagnia on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mwilliams » Fri May 16, 2008 2:13 pm
edit: cleared
Last edited by mwilliams on Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by parore26 » Sat May 17, 2008 6:38 am
Hi DMagnia.

Congratulations on your success. What exactly is the Consortium application? I looked at their website and I'm very interested in Tuck. Do you think there are any advantages to applying through the Consortium application if I'm only interested in one of those schools. I'd appreciate your response and hopefully I'll join you at Tuck in a year's time ;) Best of Luck!

by dmagnia » Sat May 17, 2008 9:03 am
Parore, you are automatically considered for a fellowship once you apply to a school via the Consortium. Yale is the newest addition to the Consortium so you now have 14 schools to choose from of which you can apply to 6 using the common Consortium app. If Tuck is the place you want to be, apply early action and let them know you will be applying through the Consortium. I believe this may be addressed somewhere on the Tuck website actually.

The Consortium app should be available late Aug/early Sep.

Best of luck!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by molt_llest » Sat May 17, 2008 2:26 pm
Congratulations!

I would like to know more about applying through the consortium, how can I do it? (I tried to find a link in the consortium web but I'm pretty lost)

And am I eligible? (I'm from europe)

by dmagnia » Sat May 17, 2008 3:39 pm
Molt, one has to be either a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to qualify... they also must support the following mission:

The mission of the Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, an alliance of leading American business schools and some of our country’s top corporations, is to enhance diversity in business education and leadership by helping to reduce the serious underrepresentation of African Americans, Hispanic Americans and Native Americans in both our member schools’ enrollments and the ranks of management.

One of the essays on the app will be one that demonstrates support to the mission. Also, you will have to submit a letter of recommendation that deals with your commitment to the mission. Hope this helps.

-D

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by RonMexico » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:22 am
Dmag,

Congrats on the acceptances! I am in a somewhat similar boat to you (hispanic military officer), and am looking to doing the consortium thing.

A quick question, how did you interview with the consortium? Did one interview cover all the schools? I am posted in the United Kingdom as an exchange pilot, so getting back to the US is a rare treat. Did you have any problems with the interview process and your work schedule?

-Ron

by dmagnia » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:49 pm
RonMexico,

I interviewed with a Consortium alum as I did not think I would be getting a chance to visit the various schools I was applying to, however, some schools will require an additional interview (i.e Ross) separate from the Consortium one as part of the admissions process. For a school like Tuck I think it is imperative to visit and interview with them as well as they want you to experience life in Hanover if even for a day (my opinion). I started networking with my interviewer once I knew I would be applying through the Consortium. Consortium alums are all over the world and it would not surprise me if you found one near your duty station. I am not sure if the list of available interviewers is accessible now but just keep checking back with the website or call over to CGSM and ask if they know of anyone available in your area. Best of luck!

DM

by QualityOfLife » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:54 pm
HI DM (I wish I would have seen this earlier so we could have connected at OP) and everyone else.

I've posted a few times on here before, but I just wanted to be another resource for anyone who may be interested in applying or learning more about the Consortium.

I'll be going to Tepper at Carnegie Mellon in the fall and I am a Consortium Fellow as well. I, too, wanted a small program and Tepper certainly provides that for me. They also offer a Computational Marketing track which is what really attracted me to their program, before even knowing anything about their reputation or their involvement in the Consortium.

I don't know how I get in either. I honestly thought they were going to burst out in laughter at my application (esp. my GMAT score which was a mess :shock: ), but somehow I got in. I like to think it was my recommendations, essays, interview...heck, every other part of the application EXCEPT the GMAT score...lol. Oh...and the simple fact that it was meant to be!
*Note: Tepper does not require an additional interview. My interview was with a Consortium alum, Simon at University of Rochester Class of 1983 - she is now a VP and Chief of Internal Audit at Coca-Cola...the Consortium's mission/vision in action!

I URGE everyone who demonstrates a genuine commitment to its mission to apply via the Consortium. After attending the Consortium's Orientation Program (and I'm sure DM will agree 100%), I feel EXTREMELY blessed to be in the Consortium and have the opportunity and network that it provides available to me. In addition, I also want to recommend the Management Leadership for Tomorrow (MLT) program to any minorities who are interested in applying to b-school for Fall 2010 entry.

https://www.ml4t.org/join/programs/mba

I found out about MLT's deadline too late, but I have friends who are in it and there are many Consortium members who are alums, so I definitely recommend it.

Feel free to send me a pm if you want to talk more!

Oh and DM, I definitely feel your pain. Pittsburgh is certainly not on my top 10 (or 70) places to live long-term...and I will most definitely have to get re-acclimated to harsh winters! lol

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by wawatan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:26 pm
hi QualityOfLife,
what was your gmat score? im also interested in applying to carnegie mellon. thanks.